If Not Happy In Oz, How Do You Cope In Aussie 'Society'.

Guest guest37336

Guest Guest37175
Just carry on as normal ...if possible...and say as we do...after 6 years its not for us...and we look forward to going home to Devon

I think recent events on these forums have illustrated that statements like the one above are pretty much all you can say when it comes to registering your unhappiness on this particular website. Tony mentioned in his original post about people having the option of using PIO as a means to vent their frustrations or their sadness at how things may have worked out for them in Oz, but sadly I fear that that option is fast disappearing. I know PIO was set up principally to help ease the passage of British immigrants into Australia, and because of that, the overwhelming tone of most posts on the forums are very positive about Australia.

But, there is always a flip-side, and for a relatively small minority of us, Australia doesn't work. I believe that those stories need to be told. That doesn't necessarily mean they need to be heard by those who are enjoying their lives here or who are looking forward to making the big move, but for those posters who've made the move to Australia and found it has cost them more than money, there is a cathartic release in being able to share their stories. And to discover that they're not alone.

Sadly, there are a number of posters on the forum who have little or no empathy for those who've struggled here and in some cases have returned to the UK. Often they're derided here as 'losers,' 'failures' or infamously as 'Ozhaters' because they've articulated their unhappiness in the company of those who do not wish to hear about it. As a result some have chosen to no longer share either their unhappy experiences here, or their new-found happiness in the UK, for fear of attack from others. Some posters have been silenced by other means.

So those who remain as active members have a choice, to either take it on the chin, or like Winston Smith in 1984 to keep our true thoughts to ourselves for fear of the consequences of deviating from the party line.

Guest guest37336
I think recent events on these forums have illustrated that statements like the one above are pretty much all you can say when it comes to registering your unhappiness on this particular website. Tony mentioned in his original post about people having the option of using PIO as a means to vent their frustrations or their sadness at how things may have worked out for them in Oz, but sadly I fear that that option is fast disappearing. I know PIO was set up principally to help ease the passage of British immigrants into Australia, and because of that the overwhelming tone of most posts on the forums are very positive about Australia.

But, there is always a flip-side, and for a relatively small minority of us, Australia doesn't work. I believe that those stories need to be told. That doesn't necessarily mean they need to heard by those who are enjoying their lives here or who are looking forward to making the big move, but for those posters who've made the move to Australia and found it has cost them more than money, there is a cathartic release in being able to share their stories. And to discover that they're not alone.

Sadly, there are a number of posters on the forum who have little or no empathy for those who've struggled here and in some cases have returned to the UK. Often they're derided here as 'losers,' 'failures' or infamously as 'Ozhaters' because they've articulated their unhappiness in the company of those who do not wish to hear about it. As a result some have chosen to no longer share either their unhappy experiences here, or their new-found happiness in the UK, for fear of attack from others. Some posters have been silenced by other means.

So those who remain as active members have a choice, to either take it on the chin, or like Winston Smith in 1984 to keep our true thoughts to ourselves for fear of the consequences of deviating from the party line.

Hi OZ.

Very honest post mate, and as I know your background I understand completely where you are coming from, and can symapathise with your mindset, been there done it, but in reverse, not a good place to be.:no:

Just as a footnote OZ, that avatar of yours, bloody hell, I'm reaching for the 'pills' already, he's on a par with The Cure for cheering me up,:no::biglaugh:.

On a lighter note he gave an interview on Radio Five Live the other day, talk about pulling teeth. Simon Mayo lost the will to live half way through,:biglaugh::biglaugh:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Archived