Crossing the Ditch

NZPom

Hi

We're Brits who have been living very happily in Christchurch NZ for the last 5.5 years. Following on from February's devastating earthquake, it's become necessary to look at leaving. We're intending to head to Brisbane - we know the city a bit and it would be nice to be rid of the cold winters! As we're NZ citizens, we have no need to go through the visa application process - we just need to sell up then move - hopefully in time for the start of the new school year 2012.

We're going for a long weekend in July to properly look at various areas/schools - a complete minefield - can't believe we're doing all this again!! Hoping I'll be able to pick someone's brains about the best places to go!

Cheers

Kate

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms In Oz NZ Pom,

I am sure you will find our forum a mine of information, I hope you enjoy!

Susie x

Hi there

I am an NZ Pom also, moved from Surrey to Auckland in 2002, then from Auckland to Gold Coast in Jan this year, also with NZ Citizenship - sooo lucky not to have to deal with visas etc.

In my experience it has been a very positive move for us - made easier by the fact that we have emigrated before. I knew exactly what we needed to do i.e. medicare, drivers licences, and had all forms printed and filled out, with google maps printed of exactly where we needed to go to sort everything - consequently within 24 hours had absolutely everything sorted, including a house!

If there is anything I can do to help, please PM me, you will love Australia!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kate

Welcome to PIO.

There seem to be a few from NZ making the move. I hope you didn't suffer any damage or injury in the earthquake.

Enjoy your time in Brisbane.

Kate

Thanks! Although we're right at the epicentre of the quake, our house didn't suffer much damage. We have been so lucky as I have many friends who have lost everything - it's an amazing community here though - will be sad to leave!

Yes it is a lot easier for us just coming from NZ having already emigrated once - it's a lot easier to sort stuff out too as it's a fairly short flight to just pop over for the odd weekend in the meantime and I'm used to southern hemisphere laid back lifestyle! I guess if I have any particular queries about schools/areas etc, then I go on the Queenland section!

NZStidz - how long did it take for your gear to arrive from NZ? I'm also trying to find out about shipping our dog but seeing as he's a kiwi dog, it looks like we don't have to worry about quarantine! Thanks for your offer to PM - I'll probably take you up on that! Wonder if there are any forums about moving to Oz from NZ!?

Kate

Hi,

we are in the process of doing the same thing..

I start a job in a few weeks time in Perth.. and the wife and kids are following as soon as i get some sort of accomodation sorted.

Weve been in CHCH for about 9 yrs now.. but it its time for a change.. like you we are all NZ cits as well.. so we always have the option of returning..

but maybe to somewhere on the outskirts of Chch.. or Ashvegas..:goofy:

oh and we are going to be renting our house out.. as the property market.. as you will be aware.. is a tad subdued!

Yeah I know what you mean - I'd just feel happier if we could get it sold before the next big shake!! It's very easy for your biggest asset to turn into your biggest liability at the moment!! But we're open to either option!

Good luck with Perth! Would be interested to hear from any NZers about shipping etc to Oz and how they find it in comparison - it's just like one big village here - will seem strange being in a country with a fairly large population!!

Guest pomsinnz
Thanks! Although we're right at the epicentre of the quake, our house didn't suffer much damage. We have been so lucky as I have many friends who have lost everything - it's an amazing community here though - will be sad to leave!

Yes it is a lot easier for us just coming from NZ having already emigrated once - it's a lot easier to sort stuff out too as it's a fairly short flight to just pop over for the odd weekend in the meantime and I'm used to southern hemisphere laid back lifestyle! I guess if I have any particular queries about schools/areas etc, then I go on the Queenland section!

NZStidz - how long did it take for your gear to arrive from NZ? I'm also trying to find out about shipping our dog but seeing as he's a kiwi dog, it looks like we don't have to worry about quarantine! Thanks for your offer to PM - I'll probably take you up on that! Wonder if there are any forums about moving to Oz from NZ!?

Kate

Hi Kate,

We are also going to Oz to Mackay,have you looked on the Trade Me forums there are loads on moving to Oz mostly Kiwis going to Brisbane and Gold Coast you should have a look.

Regards Julia

Guest pomsinnz
Thanks for that - never thought of looking on Trade Me - only ever go on there if I'm buying or selling! I'll have a look!

Yeah its a whole new world on those message boards lol!! but go to general discussion and put moving to aussie in the search and anytime and loads will come up, they are pretty useful as lots of Kiwis go on there who live in Oz.

wow.. thats a veritable mine of resources there..!

now if i can just persuade my wife that time on Trademe can just be forum watching rather than buying ##$@.. i can give up on having to chase high dollar work..!

Archived