Dutch couple going down under

FOL

Me and my girlfriend are in the early stages of emigrating. We decided to emigrate August last year on my gilfriends occupation "social worker". We have never been to Australia, but we are interested in the great climate, people and adventure. We don't see it as heaven or an escape from Holland. We do know it's a very big adventure because we haven't been there. But we'll see :)

She has 5 months work experience and at 1-1-2012 she exactly has one year work experience which is enough for the SS of South Australia and a 176 visa.

The plan:

30th of july - Ielts test (the week before she takes an intensive 30 hour training). She has to pass every band with at least a 7 on academic level.

September 2011 - skill assessment through AASW for social worker.

Ielts test general - every band an 8 at general level. This s needed to meet the 65 points.

1-1-2012 we hope to apply for the SS of SA.

1-3-2012 we hope to be able to apply for a 176.

And somewhere at the end of 2012 we'd like to move over.

I know that we made this timeline but that it is veeerrry doubtful you actually fullfil it like that, but we'll see.

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms In Oz FOL,

I do hope you enjoy our forum.

Good luck with your migration plans.

Susie x

I hope you and your girlfriend will find chatting on here helps prepare for the IELTS as well as the rigours of migrating to Australia. Motivated social workers are much needed here (as many places for that matter). It seems you are starting with a good mix of optimism and realistic attitude so you should do just fine. Good luck.

Thanks all! I realize this is an UK forum (hence the "poms"), but also for my nationality it is a great source of information. And as you say whopperdaisy it's a good preparation for the IELTS.

Thanks for the tip furkew. I've been active on the Dutch expat site for many years already. I can honestly say that without that forum we wouldn't be where we are now.

PIO is a bit more active and has some detailed subjects that we are interested in (like post-emigration, social work in Oz etc).

Archived