Historical re enactment **nightmare**

crosbyx4

Hi, I have been involved in Historical re enactment for years, I have equipment covering four time periods, I have been in contact with quite a few people about transporting my equipment to Melbourne because evidently just about everything I own is banned, (still waiting for some answers) some of the people i have spoken too have jokingly said - ( "no way pal!", you cannot bring one of them over hear!", "dont even think about it mate", are you looking to start a war !!!!! ) so out of intrest I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I can without having residancy first, import this stuff, the forms I have give me the impression only residents can import stuff like Swords, Spears Crossbows, Onager, Ballister, ECT, has anyone imported stuff ????:arghh: after all, I have all this stuff to entertain & educate people not wipe them out,!!! :confused:

Hi, iv spoken to a Museum in melb.. that has conections to millitery stuff but they cannot help in personal matters, as for the stage props, in reality it dose not matter what I call them, a sword is still a sword !!!!, there is a group in melbourne that are allowed to own some items like this & I may be able to join their group, that may be ok for some of the smaller things but my big stuff that acording to the state is classed as artillery, so ok it is artillery !!! but its 2000 year old artillery, even so it still gets listed alongside a Howitzer or a morter !!!

Guest siamsusie

Speaking out of the top of my hat, my first husband was an advertising photographer and we used to send equipment all over the world under the "carnet system"

Would this be any use to you ?

What is an ATA Carnet?

The ATA Carnet is an international customs document that permits duty-free and tax-free temporary import of goods for up to one year. A Carnet disposes of the need for raising bonds or depositing duty at customs posts.

ATA Carnets cover:

• Commercial samples
  • Professional equipment
  • Goods for presentation or use at trade fairs, shows, exhibitions, etc.

Note: ATA Carnets do not cover perishable or consumable items or goods for processing or repair.

Some of our goods remained within the country and then the necessary paperwork had to be completed.

Hi siamsusie, intresting info about the (ata carnet) I will try and look it up on the internet,

Professional equipment -is a possibility ?

Goods for presentation or use at trade fairs, shows, exhibitions, etc. - my only problem is I may need to prove I have a venue to display, (back to the museum)

Guest siamsusie

Hi there,

I guess you can always contact a few import/export agents and see their reaction to a Carnet.

We mainly took photographic equipment with us, model making, etc.but it might well be worth a look.

Let us know how you get on, it sounds amazing items you have there!

Susie x

Archived