Can I take my feather bed

clubby67

Hi there

The packers come at the end of the month,we decided to use Crown Relocations.

Can any one tell me if I can take a feather bed, it says on the label it has sterile feathers, also can we take alcohol as we have a couple of bottles we got for wedding presents over 17 yrs ago and wondered if it was ok to put in the container.

Hope someone can answer this for me, thanks

Wilma

Hi hopefuly I will have a little more info to help you on your way, but still a little unclear myself about it?!?!

We are also using Crown and they are coming next week, we have a sofa with duck feathers in all the cushions, they were surprised when we asked the question as it had never come up before. They tried to find some info then passed me an email address to visit with some info but I've found it hard to understand, so I contacted the AQIS people and they replied very quickly with the e-mail attached below. We have also contacted our sofa manufacturer to see if they have any info on the origin and process the feathers go through prior to being placed in the sofa's, so we are currently waiting on a reply from them, they have been very helpful with my strange request so hopefully have something back soon.

Hopefullly this will point you in the right direction and provide the answer your after.

Good luck with your move, start sorting everything now as we arranged it last week and Crown said they had a shipment for Sydney leaving in next few weeks if were available to have the movers in on Monday 16th!! This was great meaning our stuff be over end of July hopefully but all hell has broke loose trying to get everything ready, cleaning my sons outdoor toys etc (good old Jeyes Fluid - smells like sheep dip but seemingly the Immigration like it!!) doing a final clear out of all unwanted/useless items, biggest thing is deciding which clothes to hold back and live off for 10-12 weeks!! AHHHHH!!!

Kind regards

Fraser

WEB link from Crown www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/homecontent.asp

Reply from AQIS Duty Officer:

All information regarding importation is available at our AQIS website (http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/import). For specific commodity conditions please access the link to ICON. This provides invaluable information on a huge range of commodities, including manufactured articles containing feathers.

As required by ICON, consignments of commercially manufactured feather products such as cushions are subject to inspection on arrival at a Quarantine Approved Premise to ensure the absence of animal tissue, soil, faeces, seeds and insect contamination. If contamination or animal tissue is found, the feathers must be ordered for treatment prior to release from quarantine.

I hope this provides you with some assistance

Regards,

Duty Officer

Hi hopefuly I will have a little more info to help you on your way, but still a little unclear myself about it?!?!

We are also using Crown and they are coming next week, we have a sofa with duck feathers in all the cushions, they were surprised when we asked the question as it had never come up before. They tried to find some info then passed me an email address to visit with some info but I've found it hard to understand, so I contacted the AQIS people and they replied very quickly with the e-mail attached below. We have also contacted our sofa manufacturer to see if they have any info on the origin and process the feathers go through prior to being placed in the sofa's, so we are currently waiting on a reply from them, they have been very helpful with my strange request so hopefully have something back soon.

Hopefullly this will point you in the right direction and provide the answer your after.

Good luck with your move, start sorting everything now as we arranged it last week and Crown said they had a shipment for Sydney leaving in next few weeks if were available to have the movers in on Monday 16th!! This was great meaning our stuff be over end of July hopefully but all hell has broke loose trying to get everything ready, cleaning my sons outdoor toys etc (good old Jeyes Fluid - smells like sheep dip but seemingly the Immigration like it!!) doing a final clear out of all unwanted/useless items, biggest thing is deciding which clothes to hold back and live off for 10-12 weeks!! AHHHHH!!!

Kind regards

Fraser

WEB link from Crown www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/homecontent.asp

Reply from AQIS Duty Officer:

All information regarding importation is available at our AQIS website (http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/import). For specific commodity conditions please access the link to ICON. This provides invaluable information on a huge range of commodities, including manufactured articles containing feathers.

As required by ICON, consignments of commercially manufactured feather products such as cushions are subject to inspection on arrival at a Quarantine Approved Premise to ensure the absence of animal tissue, soil, faeces, seeds and insect contamination. If contamination or animal tissue is found, the feathers must be ordered for treatment prior to release from quarantine.

I hope this provides you with some assistance

Regards,

Duty Officer

Thank you for your detailed reply, it was very helpful,although the label says the feathers are sterile and it came from USA I think it should be ok but will check with AQIS just to be on the safe side.

I know what you mean with the packing its crazy I have post it notes on things, different colours, whats going, whats not going but we need now, whats rubbish and whats going for car boots.:wacko:

Where you heading, we leave on the 4th July for the Gold Coast.

Hope things go ok for you good luck with the packers.

Wilma

Hi Wilma

Sorry its been a long time waiting on a reply got called back out to work last night in middle of trying to sort stuff out at home, not the best week for that.

We are off to Northern Beaches around the Balgowlah and Manly area, my work is based in Neutral Bay so not too far from much really, cant wait 8 weeks and counting till we fly out!!

Take care and good luck with everything!

Fraser

Archived