Anyone shipped a pug?

Guest garlicbread

Guest garlicbread

Hi all, just intrigued to know if anyone has shipped a pug over to Aus? Who was it with (pet shipping company and airline).

Also how did your pug do with the move? I've heard a few horror stories about short nosed breeds (brachycephalic) overheating and dying whilst in transit and that quite a few airlines will not take short nosed breeds due to this problem !!

Any help on this would be invaluable.

Russ

Hi,

We have had to leave our precious bulldog behind because of this new rule....... we foundonly one airline that would ship her, company is jetpets.au. No other airline will now fly the snub nosed breed....

They said they would be able to ship her from london via vancouver to sydney then onto melbourne with 30 days in quarantine. They want £3999 for the flight, then however much to pay for blood tests and xrays before hand, then £800 for quarantine costs.

The more people I spoke to, the more stories I have heard about these breeds dying in transit.

They are often left when on stopovers and overheat, also some have died in quarantine.

My dog groomer said that one of her clients flew their dog out and it changed the temperment of the dog due to the anxiety it suffered.

What you have to question is, are you willing to let the dog suffer all the stress.....

We love our bulldog dearly but too much to put her through it all....... good luck with everything.

Alex

Oh dear. Now I'm panicking. I've got a Boston Terrier and a Boxer. This hadn't even entered my head and I assumed that they would be okay to travel to Australia. I'm more concerned about my Boston. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what experiences people have had with taking brachycephalic breeds to Australia.

I know a lady who is involved with the French bulldog association of Great Britain and a breeder took her frenchies with her when she migrated to Australia. (I think, I will find out)

Oh dear. Now I'm panicking. I've got a Boston Terrier and a Boxer. This hadn't even entered my head and I assumed that they would be okay to travel to Australia. I'm more concerned about my Boston. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what experiences people have had with taking brachycephalic breeds to Australia.

I know a lady who is involved with the French bulldog association of Great Britain and a breeder took her frenchies with her when she migrated to Australia. (I think, I will find out)

Boxer's are not on the list of dogs not accepted to fly. But Boston's will be. They are flat faced.

The is no law on this, just the airlines themselves are now choosing not to fly brachycephalic breeds due to their inability to regulate their body temp and therefore are increased risk of death in transit (its about 5 times higher or some such). Some will ship short haul up to 4 hours, but anything longer is out. Only one or two now fly to Aus (and one of these had a recent case of a French bulldog dying before even being boarded on the plane, had been in his crate less than 3 or 4 hours). I think even these airlines may be reviewing their policy now.

Please know it is a very serious risk for these types of dogs to travel in a crate for so long without being able to come out and cool down. There is not much air circulation in the containers and then in the hold kept at 18C, designed to be warmer to encourage the animals to sleep/relax, this could cause serious issues for a snub nosed dog. Think how they are on a hot day at home and how they need to keep cooler than longer nosed breeds.

Personally, even flying a long convulted way round via Canada (most US airlines won't touch brachycephalic breeds at all so that way is out) still means 6-8 hours on a plane plus time on tarmac etc and the trauma of stopovers and reloading etc. I'd not risk it for a dog of mine considered a much higher risk.

I'd be prepared for the reality of not being able to safely take your Boston with you. I know this subject has been discussed in other threads and it is a very real thing happening to these types of dogs. Overheating in these dogs is preventable when someone is there to constantly maintain their situation, but no one will be for large chunks of time.

Thank you Snifter for all that information.

I can't believe that this didn't even enter my head when we applied for our visa.

I could leave him with my mum or my in-laws but the thought of leaving him behind reduces me to tears. I think a few heart breaking discussions with my OH will be coming up.

Thank you Snifter for all that information.

I can't believe that this didn't even enter my head when we applied for our visa.

I could leave him with my mum or my in-laws but the thought of leaving him behind reduces me to tears. I think a few heart breaking discussions with my OH will be coming up.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news. But its good you find out now so you have time to discuss and plan what you would like to do. It is such a hard thing to decide even if you do find an airline to fly him long haul. I know I would be looking to rehome rather than take the chance (especially after reading about the Frenchie dying before even being loaded).

These dogs are really not designed to be able to keep themselves cool like the longer nosed breeds. They struggle on warm days here in the UK, need to be walked at cooler times of the day and so on, so consider the impact of a long haul flight, the being loaded a few hours before boarding etc and then the crate not being opened till the other end, some 30 or so hours later. Its a big ask especially if the flight is delayed or some such. If you consider the stop over route, again, the dog is still going to be on a plane and boxed up for an extended period of time a few times over so consider the impact this could have and also could still mean the dog suffers with overheating. Its not a sure fire way of preventing it.

Good luck with it all. If you do decide to rehome your Boston and someone in your family has him you'll at least be able to keep up with how he is doing and so on.

My Boston suffers with the cold so much. He has a heat pad in the winter and lots of clothes! he has a plastic paddling pool filled with water in the garden in the summer months. When I first got him I think I really underestimated how much he would need looking after. I have always had boxers. But due to house size at the time we downsized our dog too.

I have since learnt alot about the breed. They are not a easy breed to care for. They are more hands on. Having said that I wouldn't change a thing as he is a wonderful boy.

Just spoke to my OH and he's told me not to get upset and we will cross that bridge when we get our visa and start planning the move. ( his first reaction was that he wouldn't go without the dog)

I have the best companion in a French Bulldog he is so great, however even in the van in this country he starts panting and seems to struggle, I to have made the heart wrenching decision to leave him behind if and when we get our visa, I could not bear to see him put through the stress in a crate let alone the breathing problems he may face.

At the end of the day whats more important? Your dog with a life expectancy of say 10 years or a whole new life in Australia. Hopefully my dog will go to a member of family.

Guest Kimmy

Hi there. We brought both our Pugs over from South Africa. I HIGHLY recommend Keringa International quarantine station in Kempton Park (Johannesburg). We had heard excellent reports about them - went and checked them out and then made the decision to bring them over. They have to be a total of 7 months in quarantine - and we decided it was best for them to spend the max time (6 months) in Keringa and the minimum time (1 month) in Perth quarantine. The staff at Keringa gave me regular updates, posted pictures on their website and let me know when they had safely boarded and put me onto Petwings (to book flight). They had to fly with SAA as Quantas will not transport Pugs - also just make sure the flight is as direct as possible. It is when they have to go via Dubai and get unloaded onto the tarmac in that terrible heat that there is a problem!! The flight on this end from Perth to Brisbane was with Jetpets. DO IT - IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kimmy

Hi there. See my reply further down on Forum. We brought both our Pugs last year and I just wouldn't have changed it for anything!! Well worth every minute!!! Keringa in South Africa looked after them wonderfully and they spent the minimum of time in quarantine in Australia - and they came home and it was as if they were never away.

Guest The Pom Queen

Boxers are brachycephalic dogs so still at risk like any of the others. You also have to remember that it's not just dogs but cat breeds as well, ie Persian, Exotic etc.

There are plenty of brach dogs over here and cope very well.

In regards to shipping you can fly him/her to Australia with Cathay Pacific which means he/she will transit through Hong Kong, due to this route the dog will also require a Rabies vaccination and Blood test within 6 months of travel.

I would highly recommend using a company like Bob at Petair, he is a vet himself so knows all the ins and outs and any problems that may arise. For a pug you would probably be looking around 1300gbp

Guest garlicbread

It's really upsetting as we want to make the move to Aus but can't imagine our pug not coming along. He really is part of the family.

Guest The Pom Queen
It's really upsetting as we want to make the move to Aus but can't imagine our pug not coming along. He really is part of the family.

Russ, as I don'y know the medical history of your little one it is hard for me to say whether or not it's a good move, but if he is young and otherwise fit/healthy I would definately be fetching him with me if it was my dog. Although I would use a shipping agent who has experience and knows what they are doing.

After spending days talking about this with my other half. We are going to take our boys.

We weighed up all the pro's and con's and we just can't leave them behind. I know that they will be stressed during the journey (like every other dog) and probably won't enjoy Quarantine but I have friends in Sydney that will go and check on them. I know that they will also stress and be miserable if I leave them behind. Last time we went on Holiday my mum said they spent days sulking and waiting by the front door.

Our Boys are currently very young with one just over 3 and the other just over 1.

I have also spoke to my Vet who has said that they are both fine to travel.

No one knows your dog like you do and I'm going to hope and pray that they will both make the trip to Australia so our little family will be together in Australia just like we have always planned.

It was wonderful to read that two pugs made it from SA to AUS.

Guest The Pom Queen
After spending days talking about this with my other half. We are going to take our boys.

We weighed up all the pro's and con's and we just can't leave them behind. I know that they will be stressed during the journey (like every other dog) and probably won't enjoy Quarantine but I have friends in Sydney that will go and check on them. I know that they will also stress and be miserable if I leave them behind. Last time we went on Holiday my mum said they spent days sulking and waiting by the front door.

Our Boys are currently very young with one just over 3 and the other just over 1.

I have also spoke to my Vet who has said that they are both fine to travel.

No one knows your dog like you do and I'm going to hope and pray that they will both make the trip to Australia so our little family will be together in Australia just like we have always planned.

It was wonderful to read that two pugs made it from SA to AUS.

That's wonderful news and I am sure they will be fine, I think we stress more than them lol:notworthy::hug::wubclub:

Glad you've decided on what you want to do :) Now to get to the research, planning and so on with airlines. M2M suggested Cathay already and the other one I know of that does fly snub nosed breeds still is Malaysian Airlines. Check feedback etc on both of those and any others you find to see which one is the better option.

Do you plan to have a stopover in Hong Kong for them? Or go via Canada as someone else did/is?

Glad you've decided on what you want to do :) Now to get to the research, planning and so on with airlines. M2M suggested Cathay already and the other one I know of that does fly snub nosed breeds still is Malaysian Airlines. Check feedback etc on both of those and any others you find to see which one is the better option.

Do you plan to have a stopover in Hong Kong for them? Or go via Canada as someone else did/is?

Not got that far yet, will start researching and see what is the best way to get them there and through Quarantine with as less Stress as possible and the safest way for them to travel. (Stopover or not)

I don't care how much it costs, I won't be going for the cheapest option I will be looking for care and success rates etc.

Also making sure they are with a company that gets them on the plane last and first off and won't leave them sitting on the tarmac in extreme Heat/Cold.

Thank you Snifter and M2M for your understanding on this matter.

I know how hard it can be to have to consider giving up a much loved family pet.

With regard to the companies shipping them, I know the recent death of a Frenchie before being loaded onto the plane (this was in Aus btw) there was fallout as the pet shipping company refused to take responsibility as the dog died in the cargo loading area and had been handed over to the airlines care 3 hours previously.

It would seem they possibly/probably don't get to stay with the crated dogs till actual boarding as they are not allowed to. And I am not sure its even considered directly the airlines fault either as it seems the dog was handed over to the companies logistics/cargo operator which oversees the airline freight.

At least you have time to do your research and find the best solution for your requirements and doglets :)

Guest garlicbread

Mandy28 please keep us posted on what you decide to do regarding shipping etc and I shall try and do the same :)

Russ

Mandy28 please keep us posted on what you decide to do regarding shipping etc and I shall try and do the same :)

Russ

I will do, Once I have the golden ticket (visa) in hand it will be full steam ahead.

As I type both boys are basking in the sun in the conservatory! Bless them

• 8 years later...
On 09/05/2011 at 20:51, Guest garlicbread said:

Hi all, just intrigued to know if anyone has shipped a pug over to Aus? Who was it with (pet shipping company and airline).

Also how did your pug do with the move? I've heard a few horror stories about short nosed breeds (brachycephalic) overheating and dying whilst in transit and that quite a few airlines will not take short nosed breeds due to this problem !!

Any help on this would be invaluable.

Russ

Hey Russ,

How did things go? Trying to get our pug back to Australia too!

Hi 

we ended up just flying our Boxer to Australia using PetAir. They were brilliant.  Unfortunately our Boston Terrier Died before we emigrated due to kidney failure.  
the Boxer didn’t fair to well although being fit and healthy and 5 years old. He ended up getting a urine infection in the quarantine kennels as he wouldn’t wee in his kennel run as he’s a super clean dog.  He also thought we had abandoned him (according to the great vet that was dealing with him) Our Boxer had basically given up and was refusing to eat. The vets were going in everyday and trying to hand feed him roast chicken. They even called me and put the phone to my dogs ear so I could speak to him. Anyway it was the longest 10 days of my life. On the day when he could fly from Sydney to perth the vet wasn’t too keen on sending him. But I begged saying that once he’s with me he will be fine. Reluctantly the vet agreed and they sent my dog onwards to Perth.  Once I collected him at Perth airport he looked like the saddest dog in the world sitting in the crate. Then he heard my voice and it was all tail wags and licks. He spent a few days recovering from the trauma of it all. But I must say he was a different dog. Very needy afterwards and always needed to be closer to me than normal.  Unfortunately a year later we had to put him to sleep as he had a huge ‘mass’ in his chest.  

Give Pet air a call and see what they recommend. Quite a few airlines have a ban on flying snub nosed dogs. Pet Air helped us.