Chrysler Grand Voyager/ 7 seaters

theKlucies

If anybody can help, it would be much appreciated! We are a large family moving to Melbourne in August/September. We are looking into shipping our not so new (X reg) Chrysler Grand Voyager. Can anybody say whether this is really worth it?? (Time, cleaning effort, tax, shipping costs etc) We have looked into large people movers in Melbourne and they do seem to be much more expensive. Although Kia Carnival Grand seems to be a popular make? Any thoughts/help appreciated!

we have one of those , we bought it here and has been great only cost $13,000 great for a large family and we have towed trailers with it , .......no way would i bring a car over here , the tax the hassle just not worth it .............if you look around hardly anyone does , we all love and get attached to our cars , thats why i sold mine to a friend and i can see it anytime i wish ..........hope this helps

I think the age of the car would probably make it more expensive to ship that it is worth possibly. I was told unless the car was worth a chunk and newish shipping wasn't worth it.

It does cost a lot to import a car. You have the shipping costs, quarantine, cleaning Aussie end, customs clearance, Aussie registration and apparently a fee for converting it to an Aussie regged car.

For an X reg I'd lean toward leaving it behind and buying something over there.

ETA - There is the whole thing of if you ship your car you'll probably having to hire one in Aus to begin with anyways till yours arrives and is ready to use. So factor in those costs also.

And btw, not sure if you are aware of the Aussie car seat laws for children or if it will apply to your kids. If you have children in UK car seats atm they will not be legal to use in Aus. And I doubt your car would have the tether points to enable Aussie car seats to be fitted so you'd have to get that done (if its possible). All Aussie sold cars are built with the tether points for car seats. And the basic sit on booster seats are off the market in Aus and should not be used anymore. Highback boosters are the way they are going over there.

Here is a link to car seat regs for Australia

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=305&id=1486#3

And a thread where I posted a couple more links can be found here

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/110278-car-seats-queensland-changes-rules-mar-11th-2010-a.html

thank you for your time on the reply, and for a heads up on the car seats. Another cost that we hadn't factored in our move - by the 5 kids all new car seats! I had seen your post, but thought it applied to Queensland only, but will now do more research on costs. So 2 "no" posts, we may be looking at a car to add to the shopping list...

Its a nationwide change to car seat laws. Just QL rolled them out first as I understand it. Each state publishes the regulations/laws and has its own set of fines etc it seems.

5 needing car seats will cost a heap. Be sure to have a look at the CREP ratings so you have a bit to go on in terms of what they rated etc. And when buying a car in Aus ensure you can tether all the car seats properly. You can tether into the middle of the backseat also in many Aussie cars so depending on ages and car seat sizes you could get 3 across a backseat.

If you want any more info on car seat stuff in Aus drop me PM. I've done loads of research into it and have lots of links etc that you may find useful.

Hello Tracy 123,

I see you have children similar ages to mine! I have a Jacob - who will be 8 this summer! Also, Luke 6, Isabella 4, Isaac 3 and Sophia 1. So I think we will need a proper 7 seater - like the Chrysler Grand Voyager, and also i can see Kia Grand Carnivals are quite popular. We need 7 seaters and boot space for buggies etc. We have looked on autoline.om.au and also, drive.com.au. Have you any other suggestions?

Hello Tracy 123,

I see you have children similar ages to mine! I have a Jacob - who will be 8 this summer! Also, Luke 6, Isabella 4, Isaac 3 and Sophia 1. So I think we will need a proper 7 seater - like the Chrysler Grand Voyager, and also i can see Kia Grand Carnivals are quite popular. We need 7 seaters and boot space for buggies etc. We have looked on autoline.om.au and also, drive.com.au. Have you any other suggestions?

I really need to change my signature!!!!!

I have 5 kids! Joshua 13, Jake 10, Jarred 7 Jessica 5, and Joseph 4

I bought a ford fairmont station wagon and there is enough room for all of them including room for luggage.

Try ebay.com.au I think it gives you a better guide on prices people will pay for things. What state are you moving too? As the auctions are a great place to look as well.

Hello Tracy 123,

:shocked:...we have 5 children too.......the Voyager is very good value for money,they have plenty of room too and lots of boot space ......but if we were up date to an 8 seater , can you recommend one that is equally good value Tracy.......?

Archived