DIY Shipping

Guest Blackdownsgirl

Guest Blackdownsgirl

I have a 20ft container all packed up and in storage and I read on a post about someone who saved money by doing some of the moving process DIY. Cannot find the post now, sorry, so any tips on saving money? I want to ditch a lot of it and start again, but partner wants to bring the lot. Also it was packed by a removal company, so is that OK to then just put on the boat, or would another removal company want to check it all again, and charge us for the privilege? Thanks

I have a 20ft container all packed up and in storage and I read on a post about someone who saved money by doing some of the moving process DIY. Cannot find the post now, sorry, so any tips on saving money? I want to ditch a lot of it and start again, but partner wants to bring the lot. Also it was packed by a removal company, so is that OK to then just put on the boat, or would another removal company want to check it all again, and charge us for the privilege? Thanks

We still had some stuff in boxes and as long as the shippers knew what was in them they didn't check for the return. Some will say this isn't allowed but all the quotes we got were happy on that basis. If it all fits into a 20ft container and that's what you've paid for you might as well ship the whole lot back it's surprising what you might wish you had kept. Our shippers did it slightly reduced because my husband packed up the kitchenware. In your case is sounds like the whole lot is all ready to go so hopefully you'll get some competitive quotes.

I think Chris955 is doing his himself and saving a fair bit of money this way.

Good luck.

Archived