WA or Queensland

Jems30

We had thought that Perth would be the place for us, but my husband has said he would like us to consider Queensland, possibly Cairns.

Can anyone help me with some pros and cons on either place?

Thanks.:biggrin:

We had thought that Perth would be the place for us, but my husband has said he would like us to consider Queensland, possibly Cairns.

Hiya

We went out last year for a reccie and spent a couple of weeks in Perth, 5 days in Sydney and 4 weeks in Qld (two of those courtesy of the volcanc ash :biggrin:)

We thought that Perth had beautiful beaches and loved Perth City and Kings Park but thought that generally it had a very arrid landscape. But when we arrived in Qld we thought it was amazing! Very lush, green and tropical and the beaches were amazing! We just loved eveything about it to be honest and so that's where we are heading.

Good luck with your decision. Whereabouts are you in the application process?

Thank you very much.

We haven't applied for visas as yet, and we think we will rent our house out here, so that is 1 decision made. We discussed this years ago but as my daughter was so young I wanted to wait, now all my children are getting older and 'easier' I feel ready to take the plunge I think.

So much to look into, but only just coming to terms with the fact that we will be going for it, very scary! I guess visas take a very long time to go through anyway.

What is the weather like in Queensland? I have a friend in Perth who says it is hot most of the year, and a friend in Brisbane who says the weather is very up and down? I am just thinking about the children really, I don't want it to be too hot all year round.

Where in Queensland are you heading to? Good luck xx

Thank you very much.

We haven't applied for visas as yet, and we think we will rent our house out here, so that is 1 decision made. We discussed this years ago but as my daughter was so young I wanted to wait, now all my children are getting older and 'easier' I feel ready to take the plunge I think.

So much to look into, but only just coming to terms with the fact that we will be going for it, very scary! I guess visas take a very long time to go through anyway.

What is the weather like in Queensland? I have a friend in Perth who says it is hot most of the year, and a friend in Brisbane who says the weather is very up and down? I am just thinking about the children really, I don't want it to be too hot all year round.

Hiya

I know what you mean about them being at an easier age! Our girls are 8 (almost 9) and 7 and we feel that this would be an ideal age for us to make the move with them. What sort of visa will you be applying for?

Ideally we would love Goldcoast s there are many beautiful areas around there but may have to go nearer to Brisbane depending on where hubby gets work. We just don't want to do the big commute thing - he currently had an hour and a half commute to Reading 3 days a week which isn't great. But saying that ll of the areas we have visited in Qld were beautiful so we don't mind.

Is it you or hubby applying for the visa? Are you going through an agent or doing it yourselves?

Carla

Hubby is looking into visas, I am leaving him to that and he can let me know, lol!!

I am a full time mum at the moment, I was a student nurse but took a year out. Hubby is a Quantity Surveyor, so he is pretty sure there is the work out there for him.

It is just so much to think about isn't it.

Hiya

I know what you mean about them being at an easier age! Our girls are 8 (almost 9) and 7 and we feel that this would be an ideal age for us to make the move with them. What sort of visa will you be applying for?

Ideally we would love Goldcoast s there are many beautiful areas around there but may have to go nearer to Brisbane depending on where hubby gets work. We just don't want to do the big commute thing - he currently had an hour and a half commute to Reading 3 days a week which isn't great. But saying that ll of the areas we have visited in Qld were beautiful so we don't mind.

Is it you or hubby applying for the visa? Are you going through an agent or doing it yourselves?

Carla

Thank you very much.

Just remembered that you asked about the weather! ANother reason for us going to Qld :biggrin: Seems to be good all year round, although a little hot and humid in the Summer months! But saying that the rest of the year seems to be good and apparently doesn't drop much lower than around 18 degrees in the winter - which sounds fab to us!! So we are more than willing to "put up" with 3 months f being a little uncomfortable for 9 months of great weather :biggrin: Obviously they have rainy days too but Hubby has family out there and they are always raving about the great weather x

Hubby is looking into visas, I am leaving him to that and he can let me know, lol!!

I am a full time mum at the moment, I was a student nurse but took a year out. Hubby is a Quantity Surveyor, so he is pretty sure there is the work out there for him.

It is just so much to think about isn't it.

Yeah, loads to think about and worry about! but after much worrying and thinking and thinking and worrying we decided to go for it! afterall you only live once and life is for living and all that malarky!! :biglaugh:

Good luck, let me know what you decide x

Hi ya, I lived in Perth for 8 years (came back to the UK 4 years ago) and now considering a move to Brisbane. I don't know that much about Brisbane as yet but we definitely don't want to go back to Perth, it is a nice place don't get me wrong but it felt very isolated at times and is definitely behind the Eastern States (although WA's residents would never admit that!!). The Winter can feel cold (you get used to the weather and what feels hot to us in the UK feels cold when in Oz, weird eh!!). The Summer can up to around 40c and not much rain and it's too hot to go out. It's quite a windy city too. If you need any specific questions answered about Perth feel free to ask.

Good luck with the decision!

Jane

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We have had a month in Perth and.............. loved it and 5 weeks in Brisbane and............. loved it even more.

Perth is quieter............ less to do............... more isolated, but it is a beautiful place and great for families.

Brisbane is central to everywhere else and theres huggings of things to do and the Gold coast, beaches resorts and theme parks are very similar to Florida and................. fanbloodytastic, plus the sunshine coast is similar to Perth as in quieter and brilliant beaches, but your not far away from the Gold coast.

I would choose Brisbane, but.................... they are both great.

Guest NeilEB

We've chosen Perth, but figure we can always move around later on if we want to.

And hey, you can always go on holiday to the other cities / states :-)

Guest Lightbulb

I think Perth has less weather/climate problems

Amazing beaches much better than the East Coast IMO

Cairns is very boring depending on what you class as boring though I guess and i think you cant get in the sea in most places in the far north due to the crocs.

Im heading for WA as I find the East Coast too populated but wherever you chose it doesnt have to be forever good luck and how exciting for you !!!

i went on holiday to cairns beautiful place i stayed at palm beach in cairns it self i wouldnt have swam in the ocean , when the ocean goes out your left with mud flats hadnt seen that since i left the uk , the shops had names like mud flat cafe , mud flat boutique , mud flat deli lol

i went on a cruise around the barrier reef some fantastic islands lizard island being truely beautful , i heard the royals were having their honey moon there wouldnt be suprised its fantastic and the other half of the island is totally exclusive [ not for mere peasants !!lol]

great place but a lot of the work there looked seasonal to me

it was fantastic weather i went in may which is late autumn here

Archived