Two Salary State- How much?

Guest ramblemum

Guest ramblemum

Hi, We are moving to Canberra this summer and have been looking into places to live etc.

I keep coming across the fact that both parents usually work as two salaries are required. We currently have three children 4, almost 3 and 13 months so I have not been working due to the high cost of childcare here in Edinburgh (I am a teacher).

I just wondered what you would think the average total amount a household would be earning. We are coming out on a 457 visa and whilst my husband is on the sol list and the schooling fees are wavered I am starting to worry that we are not going to have enough on just my husbands salary which is 150k, and we will have to look into childcare and registration for teaching for myself.

Thanks

150k will be fine, you shouldnt need to work on that. I would think that would be about an average Canberra household income. If you want to send the kids to Grammar then you might begin to think about getting a job but, honestly, you should be OK

Guest ramblemum

Thanks- the plan is to return into teaching once the middle child is a full time school this should give me some time to sort out registration, finding a post etc. I know the playgroups etc are a bit thin on the ground by the looks of it worried I will struggle to meet people once we get out there.

x

Thanks- the plan is to return into teaching once the middle child is a full time school this should give me some time to sort out registration, finding a post etc. I know the playgroups etc are a bit thin on the ground by the looks of it worried I will struggle to meet people once we get out there.

x

There are playgroups - all sorts of things but most of them cost eg music, dance, calasthenics, gymnastics etc, all for little kids. There are also reading times at the local libraries, activities with nursery rhymes at the ACU, craft activities at the National Museum etc. There are playgroups as well - the ones that parents attend too - which dont cost much and child care where you can pay around $80 a day. For 4 year olds (turning 4 before 30 April of the year they start) there is 15 hour a week preschool.

You will have to have permanent residency to be a permanent teacher in the gov system - it can be a bit of a challenge to get in.

Guest MagsInCanberra

x

dont worry, Canberra has a lot of people with no extended family to help with kids so people tend to be very friendly and open. Check out storytime in libraries

http://www.library.act.gov.au/

theres paint and play organised by YMCA, and rhyming connections that is free and organised by them as well see

http://www.canberra.ymca.org.au/services/ec/Pages/default.aspx

you can join questacon which is relatively inexpensive for the year and theres lots to do for young children there. They also run classes called science time that are really interesting for kids and free to members. You need to book in advance though

http://www.questacon.edu.au/#canberra

Also canberra dance theatre run dance class for little ones on a Tue morning. Its only $10 per family per week and you just pay as you go, no need to book

http://www.canberradancetheatre.org/

There are also lots of excellent playgrounds around the place, including plenty of large adventure type ones (Yerrabi Pond,John Knight memorial park, Black Mountain Peninsula, Forde, Weston Park). Since we get so many sunny days, even in winter they are always popular. The botanic gardens is also nice, and the National museum is a good place to go when its wet (all free)

Hope this helps

Mags.

Archived