Social Work 'recent work experience'

Guest Nomads 1987

Guest Nomads 1987

My partner and myself are looking at applying for a skilled sponsored (176) visa.

We meet the points, however we just have a question regarding the recent work experience criteria. I understand its at least 12 of the last 24 months in the occupation which you are applying under.

My partner has 6 months working as a child protection case manager in Australia. However the other 6 months were in a child care centre in the UK, which we think may not be eligible to count.

How is the recent work experience assessed, does the experience have to have 'social worker' as the job title?

Any help would be fantastic.

My partner and myself are looking at applying for a skilled sponsored (176) visa.

We meet the points, however we just have a question regarding the recent work experience criteria. I understand its at least 12 of the last 24 months in the occupation which you are applying under.

My partner has 6 months working as a child protection case manager in Australia. However the other 6 months were in a child care centre in the UK, which we think may not be eligible to count.

How is the recent work experience assessed, does the experience have to have 'social worker' as the job title?

Any help would be fantastic.

The DIAC will (is supposed to) assess your duties, not your job title. Having more than one employer is OK. Relying on more than one occupation to satisfy a work experience criterion is another matter.

Here is an extract from the applicable regulations:

(1) If the applicant has nominated a skilled occupation which is specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this subclause, the applicant has been employed in the skilled occupation for at least 12 months in the period of 24 months ending immediately before the day on which the application was made.

(2) If the applicant has not nominated a skilled occupation as described in subclause (1):

(a) the applicant has been employed in a skilled occupation for at least 12 months in the period of 24 months ending immediately before the day on which the application was made; or

(b) the following requirements are met:

(i) the applicant satisfied the Australian study requirement in the period of 6 months ending immediately before the day on which the application was made;

(ii) each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to satisfy the Australian study requirement is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation.

Also see Schedule 1 of the migration regulations 1994 (Item 1135).

I hope this helps.

Guest Nomads 1987

Thanks so much Westly,

Would you know how they assess your duties. I assume when they assess them against the Australian Bereau of Statistics job duties;

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+2725+Social+Workers

Or do they use another method of assessing this?

Again any help is so greatly appreciated.

The duties disclosed by ANZSCO are the primary reference, but case officers are not bound by it.

Some case officers do not look beyond job titles and others are very much 'tick a box'.

You have to make your case, if one can be made.

Guest Nomads 1987

Thanks again for the help Westly.

I think we will just continue with her current job for another 6 months as this job's experience is definately going to count and apply in 6 months. Not sure its worth the risk as we will still qualify under the July 2011 points test as well.

Better safe than sorry.

Archived