The PROS of Emigrating

Guest MaybeOz

Thought I should add something to this list too seeing as it has not all been doom and gloom.........................

In my profession (Nursing)........you have the ability to climb the professional ladder so much more quickly here as opposed to the UK.

Pros for me

* We want to go. My hubby is an Aussie and our son, while born here in the UK, holds dual citizenship. We want him to know family on both sides of the world. Going before he gets older and is settled with friends and school is easier. Leaving it till when he is 7, 8 or older would be far harder for him. My parents are happy to have holidays in Aus so will have extended quality time with us once or twice a year rather than one weekend a month for a day or something like it is now. I am 40 now and I want to do this while I am still young enough to really get out there and live it. Waiting another 10 years, for both hubby and me holds no appeal.

* New experiences. Chance to live life in another country, although to all intents and purposes it'll be the same sort of routine we have here. But the chance to see parts of Australia, travel, weekends away, new experiences and sights. It'll be what we make it.

* I can't imagine growing old here. I never could. Since the first time I went travelling in my early 20's the UK, England, while its 'home' I've never felt it was the only place I could live as I got older. Nor be the only place I think of as home.

* Space. I am a country girl and I tire of everything feeling so small and cramped here. New houses here are the smallest built in Europe, tiny shoeboxes. I feel hemmed in. I love the 'big sky' Australia has.

* The sky at night in the southern hemisphere. The southern constellations. Standing there, looking up on a clear warm night, its stunning.

* Learning the history, culture of a new place, exploring and learning the wildlife and plants. The simple things nature gives you for free.

* Whale migration and watching.

* Proximity to New Zealand and a few other countries we both want to explore more.

Guest NeilEB

Not sure if you are looking for responses from people who haven't moved yet, but here's what my family are hoping for:

- Space. We can't afford our little 2 bed house in London so we are currently livign with my in-laws. Which isn't ideal for anyone

- Sports. My son loves playing sports (he's only 3 so of course this could change). Soccer, Rugby, cricket, you name it he plays it.

- Weather. Hoping to move to Perth, and I feel so sorry for my son when our answer to "can I play outside daddy" is "no it's too muddy/rainy/cold etc". He loves being outdoors so hopefully Perth can offer us that

- Work. Working my way up the ladder in England is just too hard, as my field is saturated at the moment. Hopefully there are more opportunities for me out in Oz (that's why I'm on the SOL list, right?)

- Family life. In this country, you have to both be working to make a life for yourself (I live in London so you can imagine what that means). From my rough calculations, my wife would be able to not need to work, and we could still have a decent life out there

- Challenge. Why not be proud to break the shackles of where you happened to be born and try soemthing new. I've never been to Oz, and can't wait to experience it. So many people live with regrets, and this is one I don't want.

- Nothing is forever. Not trying is forever. Basically I'd rather try and come home, then spend my life wondering 'what if'

Now maybe in a few years I'll be on the MBTTUK forum cursing the very name of Australia (obviosuly I hope not) - but this is my outlook at the moment.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Adventure.

The weather.

The outdoor lifestyle.

The amazing beaches.

The warm sea.

The weather.

Better job opportunities.

Bigger brillliant houses.

The weather.

Guest MaybeOz

Great posts everyone. Thank you for your honest views, they've made very interesting reading :yes:

Kari :wubclub:

Guest MaybeOz
Has he softened yet?:cute:

Siamsuzie ... I think it will take a few more of my wyliest strategies :wink:to get him to soften enough to agree but feel its well worth all the effort!!

Kari :wubclub:

Archived