The PROS of Emigrating

Guest MaybeOz

Guest MaybeOz

What would you put on your PROS list regarding emigrating?

I'm on one of my missions to get ammunition for my case to put forward to Hubby to try and get him to agree to emigrate!

I am looking to make a list of pros and cons so I've started two separate threads so that I can note what other people's views are on the pros and cons of emigrating and then present them to OH:wub:

Kari :wubclub:

Hiya,

We are still in Scotland, sunny today!!- a rare sight these days! we are hoping for an opportunity to make more of the outdoors, esp for our daughter. She has never been as happy as this weekend, out playing all day with neighbours. This could have only happened maybe twice this year, normally freezing/ raining/ windy/ knee deep in snow.

So, guess the improvement in weather would be a pro!

Donna

As i said on the other thread England is great when the sun is shining but sadly that is all to infrequent and we have to hibernate for long periods of the year when the winters are so miserable and seem to drag on forever, we are an outdoor family and feel that Oz may give us the all year round outside living we want.

Guest destinationoz

For me .... its never wanting to say "what if" ....

and no-one said emigrating has to be forever .... at least try it for a few years (get citizenship) and keep your mind and options open ....

Again - these are personal and wouldn't necessarily be pro's for everyone!

- More outdoor / sporty lifestyle

- Weather!!

- Beaches!!

- Children seem politer here than they did in the UK (*** MY OPINION*** A small thing, but I have seen children offer their seats to adults on trams / buses and trains without prompting - something I never saw in the UK)

- The amazing wildlife - ok, so I don't appreciate the kookaburra outside my window at 5am everyday,:mad: and don't get me started on the spiders!! But I still love seeing a flock of cockies, the roos on the golf course, the possum in the tree in the back garden.....

- Nothing is forever - you can always go back to the UK if it doesn't work out :wubclub:

Guest siamsusie

* Space

* Opportunity to buy a larger home on acerage without costing a fortune

* Incredible wildlife

* Closer to Asia

* Excellent fishing

* Excellent career opportunities.

Guest guest30038

Getting away from the in-laws (in my case)

More opportunities for professional development and less/little frustration with the health service (in Bridget's case)

A fresh start. It's been said on PIO that you can't leave your troubles behind you, but in our case, we did.

Guest edwardsfamily

the weather...

the opportunities for work....

better lifestyle, no loooonnnngggggg working hours for us....

much less traffic (than London where we were)....

great schools (for my boys anyway!)

friendly people

everything just seems easier!

Guest guest36762

bigger house, v luxurious by UK standards

children have 'options'

work MUCH more enjoyable here

proximity to beautiful beaches, Melbourne, even Tassie! (:shocked:)

Guest siamsusie

proximity to beautiful beaches, Melbourne, even Tassie! (:shocked:)

:elvis: Christ ! Siamsusie reaches for the rectal thermometer !

Guest loudu

more relaxed way of life.

they only work enough to live & enjoy life.

very friendly people (and im irish- and ireland is supposed to be super friendly)

people are helpful, genuine and its easy to make friends.

much healthier lifestyle

we were quite outdoors people in ireland- but even more so now.

there is always something to do here- and it all doesnt cost the earth.

weather isnt everything but its nice having more sunshine.

there is always some sporting event or concert etc on. (in the last few weeks- ive spent 2 days at the F1 grandprix, been to an AFL match, been to a concert, been surfing, been out for dinner on i dont know how many occasions, been to one of my new aussie friends 40th birthdays....the list goes on.........)

Blue skies.

Everyone apart from the Aborigines are migrants so we are all the same.

Space, space and more space. Drive out of the cities for a couple of hours and then its so easy to find a place with no-one else there.

Its far away from the rest of the world a plus for us.

Guest Guest31881

The pro's for me are,

Plan a day out and not worry about the weather spoiling it.

Twenty min drive from home and I am totally in an area of natural beauty and not crowded.

Doing a job that I would never of dreamed applying for in the UK, and finding people willing to trust me to do the job.

Friendliness of the locals, and the community spirit that rise to the top in times of trouble and hardship.

Seeing Australians who have a genuine pride in their country and are not ashamed or embarrassed to show it.

Buying meat from a local butcher, who raised the animal, and slaughtered it. You know its going to be a nice meal.

Fresh seafood.

Locally produced veg and fruit.

Visit the beach and its a warm sea and not crowded or filed with drunken yobs.

Phoning doctor for appointment and seeing her the same day.

Even with rising fuel prices, I can still fill my car and think " bargain"

It does broaden your mind living in different countries.

In Australia (I've gone both ways several times) you get more space and the weather. The weather isn't all good. There's been days in Perth where it is so hot it's like being snow bound. Stuck inside with the aircon.

You know when an Australian doesn't like you.

There is a greater level of equality in Australia - millionaires mix with bin men. In the UK, I know there are groups to which I will never belong.