A question for those on permanant sopouse visas

k8bug79

I am hoping to file my visa in Aug/Sep Due to various personal and financial reasons we are having to forge ahead with this even though we may not have the money we would liked to have had when the visa is granted. I would more than likely qualify for the permanant Spouse visa, although I say that with an air of caution just in case!!

I know that any money and benefit questions on this site always meet with mixed respons but I am hoping that you will be able to give me a good idea. There are always loads of people on here asking about how much money did you emmigrate with, and some huge figures are banded about whilst others do it on a moderate sum. I am thinking that one of the "benefits" of being on a permanant spouses visa is that you qualify for assistance from the state immediately if you require it. That is my understandng of things anyway.

Basically as I said we may, and it's by no means our only or first plan, literally have enough money for visa, flights, small shipping cost, rental bond and a few weeks accommodation. Obviously in the time between visa grant and validating we will aim to seek jobs for one or both of us. But should this not prove possible from abroad we would have to go over and look at whether we can survive for a few weeks onwhat we have and claim assitance when this has gone. So crux of the question. Do you feel that going as a permanant spouse you did not need the huge reserve that skilled worker visas tend to, bar the obvious set up costs that are essential for all? Obvious the best answer is to save hard and take loads, but without going into massive detail that isn't going to be possible! I am budgetting about £1500 for the visa all in, £3500 for flights (3 kids and 2 adults) £1000 for shipping and then £1000 + for rental bond. Months rent etc would be avialable and short term let would be paid in advance. Anything on top of this would be a bonus!!!!! (and I am hoping there will be much more than this)

Yes I know I'll be called naiive and silly, but this is our way of improving things for ourselves.

One final question. This will make me look really stupid!! I have read loads of peoples advice and quotes on shipping and I just can't get my head round what size we'll actually ned. Is there an easy way or website that calculates roughly the size so I cansee whose quotes we fall in line with. Is it as simple as measurin, calulating cubic footage of each item and then adding??????

Thanks guys

I'm not there so can't fully answer your question - but when I do finally arrive it will be on a subclass 100 partner visa. Even though I'll be going straight into a job paying a good six figure salary the Centrelink website tells me that we're entitled to $80AUD a week in Family Assistance B for as long as my partner is a stay at home mum. Are we going to claim it? Hell yeah! :wubclub:

I'm not there so can't fully answer your question - but when I do finally arrive it will be on a subclass 100 partner visa. Even though I'll be going straight into a job paying a good six figure salary the Centrelink website tells me that we're entitled to $80AUD a week in Family Assistance B for as long as my partner is a stay at home mum. Are we going to claim it? Hell yeah! :wubclub:

:biglaugh: Thanks. I did look at their family Assitance ad childcare benefits and they seem quite good, certainly en par with ours if not better. (Not that I want to turn this into a what benefits can we claim post!!!) I think I may have to investigate what we would get worse case scenario. My main concern is being able to secure a property if we have no income given how competitve it out there. But I wonder if youcan get rent assist on a short term property? Need to do some research I fee.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

You will certainly be entitled to ask for the family assistance and they will tell you what your entitled to and how much. You will not be entitled to claim any personal benefits for 2 years, but your Australian partner may be able to claim. When you arrive if you find it hard to find work look for the call center jobs going in the local paper. It does not pay a lot, but at least its an income.

You will not be entitled to claim any personal benefits for 2 years, but your Australian partner may be able to claim.

Not true for a permanent partner visa:

"you may be eligible to receive certain social security payments (as you are exempt from the two year Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period)

See: Centrelink"

Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100)

Archived