What to take with us

Guest hm23

Hi does anyone know what we can take and not take to Australia. We are in the process of packing up the house as I speak. So if anyone knows where i could get a list of excluded items etc it would really helpfull. Fly out in 4 weeks so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harvey, Kirsty & Kids

Guest Pasty

Hi Harvey

If you got on the dimia website, I think they have a section on there of what you can and can't take with you, ie furniture, etc. If not check the removals companies as they give you a steer in the right direction.

Jackie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Harvey, we have had 3 quotes from removals companies and they have all said pretty much the same thing. No spices, foods, pot pourri or anything containing pine cones (i.e Christmas decorations/wreaths), no garden equipment, terracotta pots etc and if you are taking a vaccuum cleaner take the filters out and give it a good clean! Same goes for cleaning up bicycles, although we have been told they may charge extra to spray them! Hope i'm on the right lines as to what you mean. Also, we have quite a bit of wicker furniture, which is apparently a bit of a grey area, so will have to pack it all together (inc little storage baskets, hampers that kinda thing) and declare it. Untreated wood is also a no no.

Just had our sponsor ship visa confirmed today, so looking forward to packing up our house........as soon as it's sold!!!

Guest Nelson

Our shippers advised us to power clean the bikes and then us 'back to black' on the tyres to make them look new.. He also suggested putting wax polish on wooden stuff to seal it. Another thing to watch are the charges imposed in Australia for decontaminating the container, which can spiral wildy out of control...

Guest Nelson

Our shippers advised us to power clean the bikes and then use 'back to black' on the tyres to make them look new.. He also suggested putting wax polish on wooden stuff to seal it. Another thing to watch are the charges imposed in Australia for decontaminating the container, which can spiral wildy out of control...

Guest likesshopping

Just a quick question? We're only at the start of process - but wouldnt it just be cheaper to buy all new when you get there?

I dont know the shipping costs - but things are so much cheaper to buy now?

Advise please - wondering what the best option is?

sarahx

Guest Pasty

Hi Sarah

You might find that once you are out there, you want familiar things around you to help you settle in and it will not be such an initial outlay when you get there. We personaly are going to take a container as we have kids and they will want all their stuff around them.

That's what we are doing anyway

Jackie

Guest ABCDiamond

Some important things to take include a few UK Power boards. The ones that take 4 or 6 UK plugs. Then when you arrive here, you only need to change the one plug, on each power board, immediately, so you can use all your electrical items.

Have you counted how many plugged items you have ? You may be surprised. I've just done a quick count and got to 50, and haven't even checked the bedrooms or garage yet !!

Also take account of those ones with the UK power adaptor plug, which you cannot change ! You will need a power board to handle those for as long as you keep them.

I have seen many stories whwere peoople have regreted not bringing certain things with them. The comment about "familiar things" is relatively common.

Hi everyone

We haven't got that close to getting a visa yet, still waiting for acknowledgement. But I was jus wondering, while we are on the subject

is anyone thinking of taking large things like fridge, freezr or washing machines?

Intially we were told that we couldn't use a washing machine over there.

But have since been told we can. Our fridge, freezer and washing machine are only 1 year old so we didn't really want to part with them.

Guest ABCDiamond
Intially we were told that we couldn't use a washing machine over there.

Whoever told you that, do NOT believe them again ;)

Older Fridge Freezers may be a problem, but only if they have the wrong gas inside them. I think the recent ones are OK.

Some people say that white goods are expensive here, but others disagree.

It may come down to that some brands are, and others aren't.

eg: LG 7.5Kg front load washing machine $649 or about $570 after haggling. :)

Guest Missiemo

Hi San

That is good advice from ABC Diamond, we have quite a new washing machine etc, we are taking ours with us you have the same voltage in Australia as here so you will only have to change the three pin plug to a two pin plug.

:D

mo

We're planning on taking the washer as we only bought it last month (our last one died a horrible death) :(

Someone said you couldn't take garden furniture - do they mean wooden stff? Ours is metal and glass and was hoping to take that.

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi San

That is good advice from ABC Diamond, we have quite a new washing machine etc, we are taking ours with us you have the same voltage in Australia as here so you will only have to change the three pin plug to a two pin plug.

:D

mo

We do use three pin plugs here, but slightly different shape and with no fuses.

australianplug.gif

The law, in most States, does say that you need an electrician to change any plugs. Some people do obey the law, some don't.

Guest ABCDiamond
Someone said you couldn't take garden furniture - do they mean wooden stff? Ours is metal and glass and was hoping to take that.
I think it may be the wood furniture that may be a potential problem.

Metal and Glass would be OK.

http://www.customs.gov.au

Processed timber, such as furniture and handicrafts,must be inspected and/or treated to ensure thatexotic pests or diseases are not present

Archived