d i y or migration agent???

judyq

hi all, after an amazing reccie we are now ready to go! Cannot seem to decide whether to do it ourselves or enlist a migration agent.

We are a bit scared to do it ourselves if there is a problem.We are in a same sex relationship and i have an oz passport so would be the defacto visa. We have been together for 15 years and have loads of evidence including three beautiful children! Just a little concerned as my oh has always been the bread winner since we had children and i am concerned that i don't look great on paper financially! i have phoned a few migration agents and they seem helpful its just alot of money if we don't need to spend it!

any words of wisdom greatly appreciated! I love this site!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Well............... the decision is yours. lol

Some on here have gone it alone and had no problems.

Some have gone it alone and............. had loads of problems.

Others go with a migration agent.

It all depends on a few things............

Are you a patient person?

Do you think your case is straight forward?

Do you like taking on what at times can be a difficult paperwork task?

Do you want to save some money?

Do you want to go the quicker easier route, with an agent? not always, but mostly.

The crux of it all is whats best for you, if you say you won't get stressed and don't mind the odd set back and your not in a mega hurry and want to save a few bob, then............ go it alone.

We went with gomatilda.com who were brilliant for us and have a great name on PIO. It was still stressful at times and i wouldn't have liked to have gone it alone.

Best of luck.

Guest eddie

As the Hoff says, its your choice.

We did ours without an agent, and have just received our 176 visa.

Ours was pretty straightforward, although the over riding factor for us was £££££.

Its not that we have loads of cash to splash around, or that we are living from hand to mouth, it was a case of what were we getting for our money?

There were a couple of things we could of done, whilst waiting for approval for certain other things, which made the process a little longer. (although with the wait for the SMP's, I don't think it made that much difference)

We looked into this agent/no agent dilemma at the beginning, and decided we would go it alone.

If you pm me I can let you know more

Regards

Paul & babs

Thanks alot for that, as you both say it is our decision...just scared of getting it wrong.

I think i could do it but o.h is really worried so may go with an agent.

I have phoned Go Matilda and got a really down to earth woman so think they will be who we use if we do use an agenT

Thanks again !

Guest Sk1ppy

Hi, Im also an aussie sponsoring my partner and we have just submitted her visa application last month. We decided to use an agent, it cost about £1,500 plus visa, medical and police checks so about £2,000 all up. We went to an aussie expo in October and found it was pretty much all about banks and health insurance but we did decided to use an agent there. Even tho its a lot of money, we would have made a load of mistakes if we didnt have the advice and guidance of an agent which means that it would have slowed the application down. We've been told the visa is due to be granted in august so still a 5 month wait. We are also in a same sex relationship and there was so much info that was needed that we hadnt even thought of. Let me know if ya want some more help. good luck!! :wink:

Thanks for that skippy, i think that has just pushed me over to using an agent! It is too big a risk to take! Can i ask you what things you had to submit that you hadn't thought of? Any advice appreciated !

August will be here in a flash! Cheers.

Judy

Guest Sk1ppy

Hi judy its a long list but here goes:

Joint bank statements

Proof of livin together

Council tax statements

2 years worth of my payslips and p60s to prove I can support my partner

Joint gym memberships

Photos

invites to both of us

birth certificates

Passports

Declarations from friends and family

Statement from sponsor and applicant about ur relationship

Car insurance wiv both names

40sp, 47sp, form 80

Ur agent will send all the forms to complete so dnt worry

A separate statement from sponsor providing details of how I will support us for the first 2 years and how I'll take the lead wiv our emigrating

We also got the medical and police checks done prior to submission so we could get a quicker response. If uv got envelopes sent to both of ya keep em cos that will help. We only submitted 8 photos cos our agent said that was all we needed. Also ur agent will write you a great cover letter helpin ur case. Hope this helps

Sam

Archived