Advice on laptops and link up to the UK

Guest val4

hi all. We have been granted our visas, sold our house, booked the tickets,planned a stopover in Hong Kong, car booting all our items. toying with taking a container over- but we don't have a lot of expensive stuff!! thinking about accomadation - caravan v campervan, hostels v motels etc. we have two young children so this will have to be taken into account.

at present we need to buy a laptop, can anyone give advice- to buy once out in Oz or here in the uk? If we are travelling around what is the best way to keep in contact with family?

Can we use a wireless link up, or do we need to have access to a phone link up?

How expensive is broadband out there?

any help please.

Hi Val4,

When I came out to Perth 8 months ago I brought my laptop from the uk.

There's plenty of internet cafes that you can either connect you laptop to wirelessly or obviously through a hardwire at about $5 per hour. McDonalds and other places hve free wireless internet access.

I've just bought a 512k broadband package with no contract for $40 per month which is not too bad.Easy todo and install.

As for laptop prices, I think probably cheaper here in Australia, however if you stopping on HongKong or Singapore theymight be a bargain to be had there! : :wink:

Guest choobs
hi all. We have been granted our visas, sold our house, booked the tickets,planned a stopover in Hong Kong, car booting all our items. toying with taking a container over- but we don't have a lot of expensive stuff!! thinking about accomadation - caravan v campervan, hostels v motels etc. we have two young children so this will have to be taken into account.

at present we need to buy a laptop, can anyone give advice- to buy once out in Oz or here in the uk? If we are travelling around what is the best way to keep in contact with family?

Can we use a wireless link up, or do we need to have access to a phone link up?

How expensive is broadband out there?

any help please.

Dell make pretty good laptops and a decent one can be had for a few hundred quid here. Bear in mind, though, that if it's less than a year old you'll have to pay import duty. Depending on how fluent you are with computers, it may be a better idea to get one while you're here, just so you can make sure all your communications with friends and family are working - wouldn't be nice to be debugging a setup over the phone to the other side of the planet :)

Choobs

Guest Alison1967

Dell make pretty good laptops and a decent one can be had for a few hundred quid here. Bear in mind, though, that if it's less than a year old you'll have to pay import duty. Depending on how fluent you are with computers, it may be a better idea to get one while you're here, just so you can make sure all your communications with friends and family are working - wouldn't be nice to be debugging a setup over the phone to the other side of the planet :)

Choobs

Choobs you are a mind reader, just bought a Inspiron 1300 from the uk Dell site put me back £439 which includes delivery.

Ali

Guest Alison1967
How much is import duty?? I saw a reasonable PC on dell.com.au for $1,000 so thought I'd wait until I got over there before buying. Maybe that's not the best move?

Dazz

Dell have cheaper models but the receipt states £439 and thats what they charged my credit card.

Ali

Guest ABCDiamond

The Dell Inspiron 1300 is currently A$1,198 at http://www.dell.com.au

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (2MB L2 Cache, 1.70GHz, 400MHz)

Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

256MB (1x256) DDR2 SDRAM Shared with Graphics (see below)

40GB Hard Drive

15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display (1280x800 res.)

1-Year Limited Next Business Day On-site Service

with:

FREE 2nd Battery

FREE Double Memory Upgrade = 512mb

Very rarely does anyone have to pay any import duty on laptops. But technically it would probably be 10% on something owned less than 1 year.

But, to counter that, if you are buying it to bring over, you should be able to get the 17.5% VAT refunded.

Guest Alison1967
The Dell Inspiron 1300 is currently A$1,198 at http://www.dell.com.au

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (2MB L2 Cache, 1.70GHz, 400MHz)

Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

256MB (1x256) DDR2 SDRAM Shared with Graphics (see below)

40GB Hard Drive

15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display (1280x800 res.)

1-Year Limited Next Business Day On-site Service

with:

FREE 2nd Battery

FREE Double Memory Upgrade = 512mb

Thanks for the info

this one is a 1.8 GHz and doesn't have the next day on site service or second free battery but its good to be able to compare.

Ali

Archived