What's Griffith like?

AoifesMum

Hello all!

My partner has just moved out to Oz and has found us a fully furnished aprtment in Griffith. It's not ideal as its only two bed and we have two children, so it will be a bit cramped at first, but its ok as a base. We hope to get a three bed when the lease ends (unfortunately its for a year). What is Griffith like to live in? Also, what are the chances of getting a furnished property in that area when our lease expires? We were intending on taking our furniture but now we're thinking to leave it behind as we intend to return to the UK in 3 to 4 years and it doesn't make sense to put it in storage for the year we are in the Griffith flat. Any thoughts? Great site, by the way.

Griffith is inner south and generally a nice place to live - the local shops have a good range, organic vegies and meat, Canberra's main "health food" (not quite sure what word to use there) shop (Mountain Creek), couple of expensive (and very good) restaurants. Bus service to Civic about 15 - 20 minutes. Quite close to the lake - so easy to go for walks around the lake.

Only thing to watch out for is that some of "Griffith" is in fact more "Narrabundah" (the McMillan Gardens area) which is fairly fringe - some folk I know were staying in apartments there and on their last night someone ram raided the car park and stole a nice car or two. Narrabundah shops, in comparison have a couple of nice restaurants (La Cantina is excellent) but the supermarket has a big grille on it and it does look quite seedy.

Griffith doesnt have a local primary school - it closed years ago and kids go either to Narrabundah which has an early childhood centre (hmmm:eek:) or Red Hill (although a lot of Griffith parents send their kids to Grammar). Narrabundah is sort of the hub for the local indigenous population which doesnt do it any favours (it is actually gradually getting gentrified). Not sure where I would suggest for school - probably the Catholic school in Narrabundah (St Benedicts)

My ex boss is a Griffith girl and wouldnt live anywhere else - she is having trouble finding a house that she would like to rent and has been looking for more than 3 months so she is staying with her parents a bit further out and hating it.

Archived