Lgv drivers

Guest heatherday

Guest heatherday

We are looking to migrate to OZ. I am a nurse so should get work but my husbands only real skill is a HGV class 2 licence. Has anybody any idea of the job market for drivers or any other manual work?

Hi

When your hubby goes to change his licence all he will get is a car licence. However if I was him I'd re do my tests once in Australia as there is plenty of work.

I drove class 1 in the UK and over here I have an MC (multi combination or road train) and I'm walking in and out of jobs at the minute

• 2 months later...

Hi, I noticed your post from a couple of months back and thought you might like some info on changing to an Australian truck licence. Whilst they will simply exchange your UK Car and Bike Licences for Australian licences, that is not the same for HGV/LGV licences as you will have to take an Australian truck test. If your husband has held his UK Class 2 ( LGV C ) for more than a year he should be allowed to go directly to take an Australian HC Semi truck test (same as UK Class One or C+E). The difference in Australia is that you don't have to take your test in front of an examiner if you don't want to. You can choose to take a test with an accredited school where the guy who teaches you also conducts the assessment and test. I had held my UK Class One for 18 years and was allowed to go direct to a NSW HC test ( Heavy Combination). I had to first pass the theory test at the RTA office which is quite easy if you take the time to study the book for a few days and do the online mock tests. You Don't have to book the theory test, you can just walk in to any RTA office, pay the fee and take the test. If you fail, you can keep taking them all day until you pass, although you would have to pay the fee each time. A few days later I then started the practical training at 6am in the morning with a local company in Sydney. By 2pm I had completed the course and the instructor then signed off my training record book as being completed. You then simply take the signed and completed training record book back to the RTA who will issue you with a Heavy Vehicle Truck licence. Clearly, far easier than the UK HGV/LGV test and the nerves some people have when facing an examiner.

• 1 year later...
I had to first pass the theory test at the RTA office which is quite easy if you take the time to study the book for a few days and do the online mock tests.

Just about to do my HR training and before that knowledge test at the RTA. I didn't realise you could do mock tests online first. Very handy to know. Cheers ;)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/driverknowledgetest/demonstrationdriverknowledgetest/index.html

Just about to do my HR training and before that knowledge test at the RTA. I didn't realise you could do mock tests online first. Very handy to know. Cheers ;)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/driverknowledgetest/demonstrationdriverknowledgetest/index.html

That was a while ago when I posted the info. But yeah, you can do the on-line mock theory tests before you then go to the RTA and take for real. If you do as many mock tests as I did until I finally got 100 % correct, I will be very surprised if there are any questions in the real test which you haven't already seen an answered in the mock tests. Did you previously hold any HGV/LGV licences in the UK? If you held a Class 1 or CE Artic licence, you can go directly to a HC test. If you held a Class 2 or C Rigid licence in the UK for over a year, you should be eligible to also go direct to a HC test.

That was a while ago when I posted the info. But yeah, you can do the on-line mock theory tests before you then go to the RTA and take for real. If you do as many mock tests as I did until I finally got 100 % correct, I will be very surprised if there are any questions in the real test which you haven't already seen an answered in the mock tests.

Did you previously hold any HGV/LGV licences in the UK? If you held a Class 1 or CE Artic licence, you can go directly to a HC test. If you held a Class 2 or C Rigid licence in the UK for over a year, you should be eligible to also go direct to a HC test.

Many thanks for the follow up, JP.

I only held a standard car/light vehicle license in the UK. So this is all new territory for me.

Archived