Where should I live????

Chris OHare

Hi

Can anyone help, we should have our visa this year and need to decide where to live, we did a reckie last year (Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane,Cairns) we did prefer Melbourne although our thoughts have now changed. We want somewhere on the coast with great beaches, suitable for families, suburbs as want to be in an affordable area for property but not to far from the city due to work, 1 hour away would be fine. The main thing is the climate, we dont want sweltering heat but also dont want cold winters...I dont ask for much.. been thinking South Sydney and Adelaide, even Darwin?? very confused at the moment, we are planning another reckie this year but need to get it right this time, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

progress.gif

Have a squizz over a PIA and see what those living there have to say about Adelaide

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/

Personally, we are going to Adelaide but its my hubby's hometown. So it makes sense for us. I do like the climate but it can be a bit chilly in winter. Depends how cold is cold I guess :P Can get hot in summer, I remember my MIL being slightly less than thrilled when it hit 40C for a while last year. But its not like that is a daily thing for months on end.

I think its a child friendly place, smaller than some cities but that is an appeal for me. Some great beaches and plenty of other places to visit within decent driving distance for weekends and trips. I've always found it a lovely city and depending on what you want it may or may not tick lots of your boxes. I've yet to find anywhere that ticks every single one for every member of our family but we are about 80-90% there with Adelaide :)

Have a squizz over a PIA and see what those living there have to say about Adelaide

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/

Personally, we are going to Adelaide but its my hubby's hometown. So it makes sense for us. I do like the climate but it can be a bit chilly in winter. Depends how cold is cold I guess :P Can get hot in summer, I remember my MIL being slightly less than thrilled when it hit 40C for a while last year. But its not like that is a daily thing for months on end.

I think its a child friendly place, smaller than some cities but that is an appeal for me. Some great beaches and plenty of other places to visit within decent driving distance for weekends and trips. I've always found it a lovely city and depending on what you want it may or may not tick lots of your boxes. I've yet to find anywhere that ticks every single one for every member of our family but we are about 80-90% there with Adelaide :)

Thanks for the advice, I am going to visit Adelaide on our next reckie, it does look very nice there, but so does most of the places I`ve visited..... its difficult to decide where to live.

Thanks again

Chris

Guest DaneD

I am moving to Melbourne soon, I love it there. The climate isn't the best in Australia, but it's way better than Manchester, England!

Have you looked around the Sunshine Coast area in Queensland? I have spent a few months there and it seems great for families, and the climate and location are both beautiful. I think it's about an hours drive from Brisbane.

Guest DaneD

O, Darwin has a dry/wet climate. Gorgeous, sunny and hot winters, but very wet, grey and muggy summers.

Yes we looked there, dont really fancy Brisbane, we did and maybe will still choose to live in Melbourne, I was looking around Mount Martha but property prices seem to have increased....

think I need to re-visit Melbourne, where abouts sre you moving to?

Guest DaneD

My girlfriend and I are a young couple with no kids. We will be living around the inner eastern suburbs, Richmond or Hawthorn areas. We want to be close to the city and someplace with good social scene. I have lived in Richmond and really enjoyed it there.

Guest Bobby

Perth gets very very hot, so if you do not like the heat Brisbane might suit you which is cooler but does get a lot more rain, but in all honesty the weather over the last few years in Oz is very variable which could be down to climate change some are saying.

We moved to the Gold Coast last November and haven't regretted it. Beautiful beaches, lots of shopping, loads to do and only an hour from Brisbane. The weather was unseasonably wet (but not cold) for the first few weeks after we arrived, but it has only rained 3 times in the past 8 weeks, and every day (except today oddly!) we have had wall to wall sunshine. It's what we came here for, and we haven't been disappointed!

Guest cricketbackinengland

Personally, I'd suggest close to Brisbane. Queensland is cheaper than Sydney and Melbourne but you can still commute. The weather is more tropical all year round with a very brief winter season where the coldest temperatures only go to minus 1 inland at night. They can get much lower than the UK in NSW and other states. The beaches are beautiful and as Goldcoast Girl says, the travelling distance isn't much. We lived on the Gold Coast for 7 years. Have to be honest, the Gold Coast was a bit superficial for me. It's a big holiday resort so it never seemed real. Brisbane and it's suburbs are more like the reality of Australia. All the other states are good, I couldn't say anything negative as they all have different things to offer. The main difference is that Sydney and Melbourne seem more expensive generally with Canberra being the most expensive. Brisbane seems to be a happy medium with good lifestyle, beaches, overall cheaper living costs, tropical climate (which means you get monsoon weather) and a good cross section of multi cultural society. You could try there for now, then travel around until you make your final decision. Good luck.

We want somewhere on the coast with great beaches, suitable for families, suburbs as want to be in an affordable area for property but not to far from the city due to work, 1 hour away would be fine. The main thing is the climate, we dont want sweltering heat but also dont want cold winters...

A second vote here for Adelaide - I think Sydney you may find is quite expensive for property, and commuting times are longer. In Adelaide there are plenty of good affordable suburbs, both beach side and hills, that are within an easy 45 minute drive from the city (the Home2Home website has a good suburb search facility where you can search by time from the CBD - Welcome to the NEW Home2Home website and click on Suburbs at the bottom of the home page), and it is incredibly family friendly - I put a link on the South Australia forum on here for an article by someone from Brisbane who had moved here that might be of interest. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/south-australia/108041-whats-adelaide-like.html

In terms of climate, Adelaide does have quite hot summers usually, and winters it can feel quite cool. Most of the houses have some form of air conditioning, but you may need some sort of heating too in the winter, especially once you've acclimatized and your blood has thinned (that might also be due to the fantastic local wines we have, with Barossa, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale ad Adelaide Hills all around us!!) It is a very dry heat though, unlike places such as Queensland which have high humidity, so I find it very pleasant and there are only maybe half a dozen days a year where you really don't want to be wondering around outside for very long in the middle of the day. We have cooling gully breezes in the evenings though so even on a 40 degree day, it's still lovely in the mornings and evenings, and great for a stroll on the beach when the water has warmed up to bath temps. Personally I find humidity very draining and tiring so Adelaide suits. The people in Adelaide are lovely too - very friendly and welcoming and a great mix of cultures with a big Italian and Greek influence (as well as Brits) giving food and restaurants a very mediterranean feel to go with the climate.

In the winter it can go down to around 5 degrees overnight very occasionally, which as I say feels pretty cool. We very very rarely get days and days of rain though - it's usually a quick heavy shower and then blue skies again very soon. Even on the coldest winter mornings when I'm wearing gloves and a hat to walk the dog, I usually have to wear sunglasses too! And I have crap circulation so I wear gloves as soon as the temp dips below 20! It's certainly nothing like the low skies and grey half-light that I remember from the UK.

Probably the biggest selling point for Adelaide is its size - it's not a big city, everything is within easy reach - I live on the North East side (the beaches are down the west) but can be in the city in 20 mins, at the beach in 30 mins, in the Barossa in 30 mins, the Murray River in 45 mins to an hour... the only pain is getting from NE to SW as most roads run in a grid system so going diagonally can be trying!

Hi Diane

Not sure if you can help me with this one but but here goes:

Whats the approx cost of 5 a bed house with a pool within 10 minutes walk from beach?

The average monthly rent on a property worth about $160.000 AUD

I currently have a joinery/shopfitting company here in the UK, we refurbish shops, restaurants and houses, is there a shortage of this type of business in Adeilade?

Chris

Whats the approx cost of 5 a bed house with a pool within 10 minutes walk from beach?

I currently have a joinery/shopfitting company here in the UK, we refurbish shops, restaurants and houses, is there a shortage of this type of business in Adeilade?

Chris

I'm sure Diane will reply again but in the meantime I'll chip in a bit

Depends which 'beach' you are considering. What suburb and so on. Have a look this this site

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

Put in for Adelaide, SA and have a squizz through the suburbs. Each property will have its own map (google) and so you can pull that up to see exactly where it is in relation to beaches and location in city and surrounding area. Can do this for buying and renting.

A pool will always bump the cost up a chunk so be prepared to reconsider on that aspect if it's too much and refine your search.

Hope thats of some use to you :)

Hi Diane

Not sure if you can help me with this one but but here goes:

Chris

Hi Chris

Well, approximate costs will vary incredibly from whether you are in one of the "commutable to the CBD" beach suburbs, or somewhere way out! The coast runs down the West so have a look on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au at suburbs such as Semaphore (still pretty reasonable as an up and coming area), then Glenelg, Brighton, Henley (very fashionable suburbs, good schools esp. Brighton, easily commutable, but pricey because of all that!), then further south to Hallet Cove (Little Britain), Seaford, then Aldinga, Sellick Beach (getting quite a way out now) then Victor Harbor and surrounds (pretty long commute into the city but may be an option to set up your own business and service the local area). If you're set on a 5 bedroom house with a pool, you may well be struggling to get something that near a beach - why would you want a pool if you lived that close to the beach anyway? :biggrin: If the original specification of needing to be near the CBD still stands, you could be looking at over a million....

Here you are, found you this one in Brighton for around $400k, put a pool in yourself and bob's your uncle! 45 Sturt Road, Brighton, SA 5048 - House for Sale #107224737 - realestate.com.au or there's this one for nearly $2million http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-henley-107124657

I'm not sure about your other question about rental costs on a house worth around $160k - you'd be pretty hard pressed to find anything that cheap unless you went way, way out to the back end of beyond!

Can't really help with your business question either, as it's not something I've ever needed to find out, but there are shops here in SA, so I guess they need fitting.....:err:

• 1 year later...

Hi Diane

Sorry, its been a while since I have been on here, just wanted to let you know that everything you said about Adelaide was right, we are moving to Adelaide this August :o)

We are looking to live around the Marion/Glenelg area as my son is going to Westminster School. I will have a hire car for the first week but then need to buy asap, do you know where is a good place to buy used cars either from a dealer or private seller..? I`ve heard a few horror stories about car salesman as you do, just want to narrow down my search ready for when I arrive.

Thanks

Chris

Archived