Teaching in Australia?

Guest Beki

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know anything about how to get teaching qualifications verified and if there is any need to to do any re-training in Australia if I haven't worked for five years? Also should I have a reference from the last school I worked at? We're applying for a visa through my hubby who's a plumber/gas fitter.

I'm a primary school teacher who started having children 5 years ago (had my first, then twins 18 months later) My teaching salary would no-where near cover child care costs besides, I've had a wonderful time being full time Mum.

By the time we get to Australia our children will all be in school full time and I am hoping to get back to work once we have settled. :?:

If anyone knows anyting on the subject I would much appreciate your feedback!

Beki :?

What a Wally, I've just seen the section on careers and jobs, this is supposed to be in that section, Sorry!!!

I'm soooooooooooooooo bored! I'm replying to my own messages!!!!!! :oops:

You need to contact the department of education in the state that you are wanting to teach. You can get your skills checked via NOOSR but the state education department should be able to point you in the right direction.

You should be fine as long as you have qualified through the University degree route as some other qualifications have given people problems.

Good luck.

Nicky

Thank you Nicky, yes it's a Univesity Degree, B.Ed.Hons. I'll look into it, that'll keep me busy, this waiting game is driving me potty!

Regards Beki :D

hi all, my hubby and I are both teachers. Had all qualifications checked by NOOSR. We had been granted permanent visas. I am primary trained but have been working in a secondary school. He is a secondary P.E head of department.

hoping we will get jobs once out there.

Does anyone know the number to any departments of education in Queensland, or NSW?

Do we need to apply to the states to check qualifications if we have a permanent visa?

many thnaks

good luck all.

hi all, my hubby and I are both teachers. Had all qualifications checked by NOOSR. We had been granted permanent visas. I am primary trained but have been working in a secondary school. He is a secondary P.E head of department.

hoping we will get jobs once out there.

Does anyone know the number to any departments of education in Queensland, or NSW?

Do we need to apply to the states to check qualifications if we have a permanent visa?

many thnaks

good luck all.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Val4/Bikergirl, Congratulations on getting so close!

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, I've just started on my teaching skills assessment form (actually all I've done is printed myself a hard copy to sit and puzzle over).

My hubby is a plumber/gas fitter and he's our ticket for our Visa but I thought I'd keep myself occupied but getting my skills assessed before we go.

All the best for your journey and job hunting once you're there, where abouts are you going? We're heading for Perth.

:D Beki :D

• 1 month later...

Hi becki, hoping to go towards Brisbain area. We plan to travel for a few months before trying to settle in one area. We are on our way the 2 nd August. Getting pretty scared now, several sleepless nights.

Sometimes I think we are more than mad. My job has just been given to a newly qualified teacher and reality has set in. Oddly my SAT maths grades for the class has been excellent and after all these years it'd the first time I have had a well done!

perhaps they are telling me something.!!

The new teacher is more than keen and wants to sit in my lessons, I'm really quite sad about it, they are or were my kids. I will miss them. WHAT HAVE I DONE!!

Sorry feeling a little down, worried that it is the right thing.

will go now so not to depress anyone.

val

Chin up mate! Teaching in this country sucks, lets face it. You know you can do the job under all the pressures that the kids themselves provide, then someone from the land of the pen pushers decides your job isn't hard enough already and give you a pile of unnecessary paperwork to do. :x

Have you got children of your own? I bet the NQT thinks you're the biz, pass your pupils on with dignity, you're doing something that's far greater than slogging your guts out to be told one day by an Ofsted bod you're satisfactory! You know you deserve more than that!

Think positive, I know at this time of the term the pressure's on but this time you've got the added advantage of being able to give the powers that be the finger and with your head held high you can bugger off and make a MUCH better life for yourself.

Don't be scared, be excited, this is a ride of a lifetime, what you're doing now will give you memories and stories to tell your children and your grand children. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!

Be happy, all the best Beki x :D

Guest ABCDiamond
Oddly my SAT maths grades for the class has been excellent and after all these years it'd the first time I have had a well done!

perhaps they are telling me something.!!

Not often I think the way I thought at reading this.....

Maybe they are telling you that you are "conforming" to the system ?

Here, the emphasis seems to be more at producing well rounded children, not robotic ones that all learn the same way.

Primary children are taught to learn in a happy way, exams don't appear to count as much in primary. Not sure how senior works yet, my child is only in year 5.

Guest spray21

A quick google search (on google.com.au) will bring up teaching authority webpages for various states - make sure any information you find is correct for the state you are going to. Once there you'll find loads of details about what you need to do to work in that state.

Make sure you have all your paperwork in order to prove qualifications & experience etc.

Archived