Takin furniture to oz

Guest afiyafifi

Guest afiyafifi

HI all , could someone give me an idea of what household items cannot b taken over 2 oz , I got told i couldnt take leather furiture over. i would b greatful 4 any advice on this subject . thanks karen.:spinny:

Wicker and cane is a bit of a no-no. British creepy crawlies like to crawl inside the hollows and smuggle themselves in to Oz - the quarantine inspection people take great offense at this.

Our pine furniture is okay so we will be taking that. It is worth bearing in mind that fridges and freezers have to be virtually new because of the restriction on importing CFC gases (or something along those lines) so consider whether you can take yours!

Felicity:wub:

Guest Working to fish
Wicker and cane is a bit of a no-no. British creepy crawlies like to crawl inside the hollows and smuggle themselves in to Oz - the quarantine inspection people take great offense at this.

Our pine furniture is okay so we will be taking that. It is worth bearing in mind that fridges and freezers have to be virtually new because of the restriction on importing CFC gases (or something along those lines) so consider whether you can take yours!

Felicity:wub:

HI Felicity

When you say virtully new ,do you know how new they need to be ?

also leather ,didnt know this was a no,no

Thanks

eddie,tina.

We received this with our quarantine forms:

We have been advised by our destination agent of important developments in relation to the import into Australia of refrigerators / freezers / air conditioning equipment including units in motor vehicles as part of household goods shipments.

The importation of refrigeration or air conditioning equipment that is charged with a CFC refrigerant or can only operate on such a refrigerant is totally banned from being imported.

The importation of refrigeration and air conditioning equipment that is insulated with foam manufactured with a CFC is also totally banned.

All importers will be required to declare that any pre charged refrigeration or air conditioning equipment system(s) does not contain CFC refrigerant or can only operate on such a refrigerant and that it is not insulated with foam manufactured with a CFC.

An importer who does import any of this equipment may be subject to prosecution, seizure of equipment, fines and other monetary sanctions. we trust you appreciate that it is due to circumstances that are totally our of our control.

Please note if the equipment is CFC free i.e. it contains or operates on HCFC or HFC refrigerant then the goods can be imported as normal Household Goods. Copies of the equipment handbooks or a letter from the manufacturers confirming this will be required as part of the import documentation.

We had to sign a letter of declaration that we were not taking a refrigerator or any other CFC appliance with us. As it happens I have been promised a new super fridge freezer so I wasn't too sad to have to sell ours!

Hope this helps,

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest Working to fish

Thank you for that info

am sure most of us didnt know about that ,

i sure didnt.:wubclub::wubclub:

eddie ,tina

Guest ontheup

Just found out our Fridge Freezer is CFC gas free but some bits (packing I guess) were made with CFC. Looks like we are gonna have to get a new one :arghh:

we've been told that fridges/freezers may not work anyhow due to the difference in climate as the settings will be for our delightful uk weather and not the heat of oz, so not worth taking with you.

Just found out our Fridge Freezer is CFC gas free but some bits (packing I guess) were made with CFC. Looks like we are gonna have to get a new one :arghh:

Hi, our fridge is cfc free and we phoned whirlpool to confirm, they said it would be fine to take with us. Im now not sure as I didnt ask about cfc packing. Also has anyone taken a fridge that didnt go all mouldy and how did you do it. How long did you turn it off for defrosting before transport, to make it completley dry. :notworthy: Thanks Gilly

Hi

We brought over 2 leather settees and chairs no problem, also wooden dining table,coffee tables chairs, Electrical Items including a beer fridge as was fairly new but had to get rid of our chest freezer and fridge/freezer because of the cs gases. But no candles and be careful on christmas decorations no pine cones, we also brought bikes and hubbys tools car ramps car jacks as long as there clean also ladders for the outside of house, so you can load that container very quickly. Good luck and get cleaning everything.

Karen

Guest scorgiep

We just had all our furniture taken for shipping. leather ok but no to wicker. Make sure you clean any rugs if taking. The shipping company you use will advise you. We cleaned averything with disinfectant just to be sure its clean! Advice from others recently moved is great, so ask as many questions as you can.

Guest mandy1

Hi

Does anyone know if its worth taking a new front loading washer as I've been told that front loaders are more expensive over in Oz?

Mandy x

We brought our leather sofas over no probs. We also brought over wooden furniture, husbands tools no probs.

The kids quad bike, jeep, trampoline needed cleaning so quarentine said as did the BBQ and 41 shoes (yes 41 shoes!! not 41 pairs). Some of which had never been worn but nothing you can do about it. You cant argue!!

Just be prepared that you may get a quarentine bill this end. (They will charge you to carry out inspection then on top of that they will charge to clean each item)!!

Archived