Hi ya!!

charlene

Just a quick hello. Am new to PIO and me and OH will no become addicted like all the rest. We are planning to go to OZ (my 4yr old son included) on a student visa for myself as my OH's age is against him. He's 42 next month so would be cutting it fine (he has no recognised skills or qualifications). I'm thinking of doing a hairdressing course or maybe even nursing, just really worried that if we go and do it, say it all goes pear-shaped and we've sold our house and given up our jobs for nothing. Worst nightmare would be, for instance, I go and do a hairdressing course and by the time I've finished, it's no longer on the skills on demand list. Where do we go from there? Things like this are running through our minds and we want to make the right decision. Any advice, info or words of encouragement would be of great help to us.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Charlene

I don't know anything about student visas unfortunately, so I can't help on this front.

I just wanted to say welcome to Poms in Oz. Maybe do a search to find all the recent threads about student visas?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Els-Bells

Hi and welcome to PIO,you will deff become addicted so be prepared for it to take overyour life ha ha! I really dont know about student visas, but have you thought about going through an agent they are really good at advising on things like that! YOu could check how long hairdressers have been on the skills list and maybe judge from that the likelyhood of it being taken off the list. We have gone through all the pros and cons of emmigrating, but the more we look into a new life in oz the more determined we are to do it. Without slating off the uk too much we look at our 4 year old daughter and what prospects there will be for her hear in the future and we get really concerened... there seems to be a bit more opportunity in oz for her in future. Life is all about taking risks for better or worse,but we are the kind of people who dont believe in living with regrets,i would rather say "i did it but it didnt work out rater than living with the what ifs". Hope you come to the right decision and things work out whatever you do.

Hi Charlene, I'm with Els-Bells on this you cant know if you dont try it! Treat it as a lifetime experience if nothing else to have lived in another country for a while.

Anyway just wanted to say welcome845695645.gif

to PIO website

Hi and welcome to PIO.

I guess if I had to choose between the 2 occupations you mentioned it would be a nurse I believe would stay on list.

Mind saying that you really want to have to do it, I was sat in the hospital here in Newcastle the other day while my son was having an operation I was listening to 2 nurses talking how they felt they had made the biggest mistake ever becoming nurses they were so disillusioned.

Maybe thats just in the UK though I felt like saying have you any idea of how much you are wanted in Australia get yourselves off, of course I didn't but the urge was there.

Be sure of what you want before you apply I quite like the sound of becoming a baker oooh lovely bread they are in demand :yes:

So many choices.

Kaye

Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome and words of advice and encouragement. I know life's a risk (die if you do, die if you don't) but what makes it harder is the fact that we have our 4 yr old son and just want to do right by him. If it was just me and Kev decision would be easier coz if we did lose everything, there's only us to worry about. Kevin despises this country :arghh: and really would like to get out - I'm not far behind his thinking) and yes I do want a better life for our son (I don't see a bright and fulfilled future for him here).

Will look through the Jobs on Demand again and do more research.

Thanks again.:spinny:

Archived