How many points for a State Sponsorship

hutch21

Is anyone as confused as me as to how many points we actually need to complete our application to Western Australia. My husband and I and our young family are applying to emigrate on a skilled sponsored visa. He is a carpenter. We have been told we so far have 105 points, based on the General Skilled Migrations points test. It seems that we need 100 points to make the pass mark. Our immigration agent has told us to take the IELTS to increase the chances to get a State Sponsorship. My husband took the IELTS but only got a 6 for writing so he would have to take it again and hope he will now manage to get a 7.

On reading on-line information it seems that if you get a State Sponsorship you get an extra 10 points. Is the extra 10 points with the 105 enough to guarantee that our State Sponsorship will go through? Will we actually increase our chances to get a state Sponsorship for WA if we take the IELTS and get another 10 points on top of our 105? Do you actually need the points to get a State Sponsorship or to eventually apply for the visa at DIAC? Lots of questions.....

Has anyone out there been through this whole process and can they help!

whether you are on 105 or 115 is irrelevant to your chances of State sponsorship.

I would apply for state spnsorship asap if you are on their smp list as you need to apply in the next few months before new points system.

Just need the points for the application system to DIAC

Only reason to take ielts test is if it is a requirement for state sponsoship for your occupation.

Thanks for that! Our agent is speeding things up to get everything done before July. Waiting for Vettassess results for Sponsorship. After that just medicals and policecheck and that's it, so should be ok.

It seems quite pointless for him to get the extra points for a Sponsorship if he allready made the pass mark with his 105 points. Our agent told us that strictly taken he doesn't have to take IELTS but we will increase our chances for a State sponsorship if he does. Seems very weird to me if we now hear that he has made the pass mark and 105 or 115 doesn't make a difference.

They never told us a carpenter has to take IELTS, they just talked about increasing our chances for Sponsorship.....

I just found this so I take it he really does not have to take another shot at IELTS because he DID get a 7, 7, 6 and 9 last time.....

Technicians and Trades Workers:

Applicants for Western Australian state sponsorship must have a minimum of 6 across all four bands. To qualify for Western Australia state sponsorship.

Archived