The delights of the markets

Phil & Vikki

Yesterday we went to the market at the top end of George Street – Paddy’s Market. It was very busy but wow, what a place to go for cheaper fruit and veg. We got some bananas there at $1.50 per kilo. We should of looked around a bit more and not gone for the first ones that we seen as further inside the market they were selling them at $1 per kilo. In saying that, it is still so much better than going to Coles or Woolworths and buying them for $5 - $6 per kilo. That is what we found for most of the things there, there was good savings to be had and the quality was good too, which is always a bonus. Finding this will help bring our weekly shopping bill down a nice amount.

When in there we did see the fish and sausages being sold in one little section, but there was not any meat sellers there, or none that we could see. Does anyone know of any meat sellers/markets in Sydney that they would recommend? If we could find meat, we would really be able to cut the shopping bill down to a nice manageable amount for the four of us.

Guest shusselmann

Hi, I keep meaning to check out South Sydney markets for the same reason. If I get there soon I'll let you know!

An Aussie friend told me that buying in bulk and getting meat delivered is the most cost effective way of stocking up. We don't have a very big enough freezer but if you do, it might be worth looking at home delivery options.

All the best, Sarah

Archived