Meds today

clanstewarts

Hi, We've got our meds booked for next week & I must say im quite nervous as I have no idea what to expect. What exactly do they do? My hb keeps having a moan because im a smoker and keeps worrying I wont pass because of this but thousands of applicant must be smokers too musn't they?

Guest smithys
Hi, We've got our meds booked for next week & I must say im quite nervous as I have no idea what to expect. What exactly do they do? My hb keeps having a moan because im a smoker and keeps worrying I wont pass because of this but thousands of applicant must be smokers too musn't they?

Hi,

Try not to worry, it's not that bad at all!

Here is our experience:

Firstly, you pee in a cup.

Secondly, they fill in all your details and load them on to your application and they took our pics. (some have to bring a pic)

Then we had our chest x-rays.

Then we saw the nurse and she took our BP, height, weight, eye test and blood tests.

Then we saw the doctor and he examined our ears, throat, eyes, felt our tummys and listened to our chest etc.

I believe people have 'reflex' tests too, but ours didn't do one.

He asked us general health and history.

All the staff were friendly and very pleasant.

We aren't smokers but like you say, I'm sure many are and as long as this is not having an impact on your health to a degree where it is causing a condition etc I don't see how it would be a problem for the medical. If you are fit and well in every other aspect.

Good luck and I wish you all the best. x

Shaza

Meds went smoothly as smithy said, ours was exactly the same though we did have our reflexes checked. Our wee was a right old colour chart lol. As for the smoking my OH smokes though he is trying to cut down:skeptical: and there wasnt any drama's there. I have tattoos and peircings so they took extra blood and billed OH an extra 150 euros. All in all 2hrs in the doctors and 447 euros lighter a good day.

max

Why did they charge extra for Tats? My hb has recently had new ones done & ive got tattoo's which last one was done about 3 years ago.

Glad your meds went ok & thanks for putting my mind at rest re smoking, I only smoke around 6 a day anyway so not a heavy smoker.

Did they tell you when you would receive the results?

Why did they charge extra for Tats? My hb has recently had new ones done & ive got tattoo's which last one was done about 3 years ago.

Glad your meds went ok & thanks for putting my mind at rest re smoking, I only smoke around 6 a day anyway so not a heavy smoker.

Shaza

I believe they charged more because they know i do not like tats on the OH, LOL.

I think it is all to do with perhaps other checks that may be needed due to perhaps some shops not being hygienic and all that and obviously HIV is a big one.

I am not going to complain too much about the price as 447 euros for 4 of us is cheap at half the price from what i have seen from others on the forum.

The smoking was a concern for me but it turned out to be false apprehension.

hi shaza

they charge extra if you have tats and piercings as they are checking for Hep B and Hep C in the blood test. However saying that i have tats and did not have to have the Hep bloods done as we are going on a 475 visa, which is a temp visa, if you are going on a PR visa you will have to have them done.

my OH also a smoker and it didnt even come up, so dont worry about that...... we had our meds done in Birmingham and were straight forward just like smithys described, so dont worry......

both OH and i had high blood pressure, but we were sitting in a small boiling hot room trying to keep our 2 1/2 year old entertained while worrying about the meds.....but in the end the doctor took them both again and all was fine......it is a stressful situation!!!!! :wacko:

hope all goes well

Jill

Archived