question for anyone in Oz in building trade

becky c

Hi everyone,

We're moving hopefully to South Australia early next year with me as main applicant (Social Worker). Hubby fits UPVC windows and doors and also does fascia and gutter. He's having problems looking for jobs under these descriptions. Can anyone tell us who fits windows or guttering on houses in Oz?

If this looks to be a problem finding work for him over there, re training may be an option in a trade i.e. plastering. He's found short courses at TAFE, but we're assuming he'd also need to do some sort of apprenticeship or similar, are we assuming right, if so how easy is this to set up, and what sort of wages can he expect?

We'd really appreciate any advice or info on any of the above,

Thanks

Bec x

Hi Bec

Sorry can't be a great help to you but all I can say is that all the houses have windows and guttering so it shouldn't be a problem to get a job when you arrive in Oz.

If your Oh wanted to go into Plastering then once again there should be plenty of work and not sure if you Oh would need to go to TAFE for this, I got a feeling it might be just Plumber and Electricians etc.. but could be wrong. Sorry can't help on the wage part you might need to visit one of the job agencies web sites to get an idea of the salary.

Sorry not a great help and hope that someone on here can give you a better lead to your query.

Regards

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply, I know what you mean, all houses have windows and gutters so someone must fit them!! Hubby is just naturally concerned about finding suitable work, so is thinking of a plan B just in case,

Best Wishes,

Bec x

Hiya Bec

It's normally trying to find the write word for the occupation, I tried inputting Window Installers instead of fitters and some jobs did come up, here is one of them

Aneeta Windows are Australia's Premier sashless window company.

We currently have an opportunity for an experienced joiner/window installer to join our very friendly team. This very autonomous role requires commitment to achieve an extremely high end result.

Training will be provided but applicants need to supply own tools and a suitable vehicle and be in possession of an ABN number.

Excellent contract rates apply.

Enquiries and applications should be directed to

Peter Califano

General Manager

Aneeta Windows

sa@aneetawindows.com

Email: Please click the 'Apply Now' button below.

This job is in Adelaide too!!

Hope this helps, and of course your OH could try the plastering as well!!

Kimx

Guest michele'n'michael
Hiya Bec

It's normally trying to find the write word for the occupation, I tried inputting Window Installers instead of fitters and some jobs did come up, here is one of them

Aneeta Windows are Australia's Premier sashless window company.

We currently have an opportunity for an experienced joiner/window installer to join our very friendly team. This very autonomous role requires commitment to achieve an extremely high end result.

Training will be provided but applicants need to supply own tools and a suitable vehicle and be in possession of an ABN number.

Excellent contract rates apply.

Enquiries and applications should be directed to

Peter Califano

General Manager

Aneeta Windows

sa@aneetawindows.com

Email: Please click the 'Apply Now' button below.

This job is in Adelaide too!!

Hope this helps, and of course your OH could try the plastering as well!!

Kimx

Hi Kim I don't s'ppose you know if roofers need to do any re training to grt jobs in the Brissy area do you?? Any help appreciated, Michele x

Bless you Kim, thanks so much for that. Its a big relief to know that window fitters exist out there. Hubby was thinking that maybe another tradesman did it i.e.trained carpenters. And you're right, he can always do something else as well, never hurts to have another skill under your belt,

Thanks again,

Bec x

Hiya Bec, No problem - Good luck with it x

Hiya Michelle, It's all so complicated isn't it? I had a feeling that is was mainly jobs that involve dealing with the electrical side of things i.e. electricians, plumbers etc.. so would think that roofers would not need retraining at TAFE. Do you have an agent? as maybe you could ask him, if not ile ask my agent for you and see what he says. kimx

Archived