confused Nurse/Midwife

piglet

Hi there

as the title states, im feeling like im drowning in information and struggle to make sense of any of it :goofy:

I have been trying to find a step by step 'idiots guide to immigration and professional registration' but seem to only find even more info, some very conflicting.

So have i got this right....

1, Would my first point of call would be to do the Skills assessment from the ANMC?

Some people say you have to do it and others argues that no I dont?? on their website it states that:

You should not apply for a Migration Skills Assessment from the ANMC if you are:

• Enrolled Nurse/Registered Nurse Division 2.
  • An overseas educated nurse or midwife who holds a permanent resident visa.
  • Nurses and midwives applying for Working Holiday Visas/Temporary Visas.

These nurses and midwives should apply directly to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA)

I read this to mean that if i apply for a 175 or 176 i would need to do it but if i go over on a temporary 475 I wouldnt need too?

2, I take it that next step is registering with AHPRA

3, Only once registered apply for relevant Visa

4, Apply for jobs (depending if i go for the PR or temporary i might swap last two around)

Does this sound correct??

Absolutely correct! It's a bit of a head doer isn't it! I'm in the process of having my nursing skills assessed then I'm goin to apply for a 176 visa. I also intend to practise as a midwife in Oz once I qualify, but I can get the visa based on my nursing which really quickens things up.

Good luck!

Hi Jenpen, thanks for your reply.

Its just so much to take in!! when you do the nursing skilled assessment, how long is this valid for?? When do you qualify? I take it that you are doing the conversion course? I just finished the 18 month course in September last year, so still very scary stuff!

We are at abit of a cross road at the moment and depending on my husbands job we will either go out next year or will wait until the kids has finished school in about 7 years, so i cant really be doing anything until we know whats occuring which should be in april!!

I was initially thinking that i should apply for the 175 on my nursing (should it come to it in april) as you need minimum of 1 year experience but im not sure that it will count for me as i was only a nurse for about 8 months before i started the course, although i have been on the NMC register since 2008???

We are hoping to go to Brisbane or the Gold coast, where are you heading?

I think the skills assessment is valid for two years, I know the ANMC (who assess your skills) hold on to your documents for two years so this is just an asumption. Once successful with this, you send your "letter of determination" along with the documents you supplied for the assessment when applying for your 175 or 176 visa.

I would go on the DIAC website www.immi.gov.au

Here you can check your eligability for the 175 visa. I only had 2 years post reg nursing experience and so I didn't have enough points for the 175. Me and my boyfriend will be sponsored by his sister who is a permanent resident in Perth so we are applying for the 176. You should also note they are changing the points system after July 1st. We won't have enough points for either visa on the new system because of age and experience so we are doing everything now!

Yep I'm doing the 18month midwifery course. I started just in Jan and should finish June next year. I'm absolutely loving it :biggrin:. We'll hopefully be heading to Perth end 2012 - early 2013.

You should also bare in mind the length of time it takes to request supporting documents for your applications, e.g. course transcript, verification of registration, sitting your IELTS (I HATED THAT!). Plus, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get registered with AHPRA (from what I've read), so don't hang about.

Since Dec I've sat IELTS and sent my application to ANMC for assessment. My application has been there for about 2 weeks but they haven't received my course transcript, which was posted early Dec so I've had to request another...NIGHTMARE!!

Good luck with what you choose to do!

P.S. you noticed much of a change in pay since you qualified?

Thanks for all that info

when you say that they will change the point system in July, will this be drastically changed? do they have any guidance published on the immigration website? Im so keen to go, i could gladly start the process tomorrow! Hopefully the ANMC will not be taking to much longer with your application. Whats really enoying is that i have already sat the academic IELTS twice in order to start uni in the UK and got overall band 8 and 8.5 but its only valid for two years so i will have to do it yet again!!

In reard to pay, my trust paid me my nursing salary during training which was about 21,700 ish and my starting salary was just under 25K so roughly £250 increase a month. End of march ill go up to band 6 so that will see another little increase!! Whereabouts are you doing your training?

Hi,

You need to get your skills assessed before you can apply for sponsorship, if you're going on 176, you need to have IELTS too. You don't need to have registration before applying for visa, once you get it back, my agent said it's only vaid for a year until you have to activate it by working as nurse in Oz, so you wouldn't want it to come back too early. No chance of that it seems for overseas nurses. I applied to Vic NB for registration March 2010, then when went to central registration with AHPRA had to reapply to them, i'm still waiting! Chased them 2 days ago and said will escalate it to officer and look into it! I think i'm right in saying if you get ur registration back you can do a shortened and cheaper skills assesment, but you could be kept waiting, so i ended up paying more for full skills assesment, that came back in few months. Sponsorship took 3 months with Vic. Put in visa 3 weeks ago now.:jiggy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vicki Kel

Hi,

I am in the process of waiting for my skills assessment to come back, i sent it off 4 weeks ago and have just checked process and website says they are waiting on initial reg docs even though they received everything else (sent with reg docs!) Did they inform you they hadn't received transcript or did you have to chase them?

Hoping to move to Sydney at the end of the year but already finding the whole process more complicated than expected!

Am sure will be worth it in the end though :-)

Hi,

I am in the process of waiting for my skills assessment to come back, i sent it off 4 weeks ago and have just checked process and website says they are waiting on initial reg docs even though they received everything else (sent with reg docs!) Did they inform you they hadn't received transcript or did you have to chase them?

Hoping to move to Sydney at the end of the year but already finding the whole process more complicated than expected!

Am sure will be worth it in the end though :-)

Hiya, I'd email them if I were u. My application got there but wen I checked the website it said my transcript wasn't (theyvdidnt contact me to say this!!) even tho the transcript was requested two months before hand! It took a week for my application status to change once everything was finally there so u must chase it. Good luck.

Archived