and another question....

chiara

Why do some of you have a timeline that says 'lodged' on xdate and 'applied for' on a later date? Why does it take so long for some people to actually submit an application? Apart from the skills assessment (and I'm talking about 175/176 skilled migrant worker), what else has to happen before you can apply?

My questions are a little basic I'm sure, but there must be others wondering the same things....:err:

With applications lodged prior to July 2010 you can "change" the type of visa to a higher priority (or Catagory) with no cost and relatively little hassle (presuming you qualified) i.e. persuade an eligible family member and therefore to move from 175 to 176 (to help with the points requirements - which is also changing later this year FYI). Because the 175 Independant and the 176 Family Sponsored were mostly Catagory 4 and not likely to be processed a least 18-24 months some applicants applied to a State for sponsorship (providing their nominated skill was on there Migration Plan) and then converted the 175 Indy or 176 Family to a 176 State Sponsored (once the State granted approved it).

Application made since July 2010 cannot be changed in this manner and costing cA$1500 per application having to lodge a completely new application means gettin things like State Sponsorship is now done before hand.

Bit of a converluted way of explaing things and probably covered things you already know.. but the details kinda errupted from my fingers...

Hope that helps!

- 4lan.

4lan, no I didn't know any of that so thanks. Since we're going for the state sponsorship anyhow, I guess it doesn't affect us. So here's another dumb question. Is applying for state sponsorship a separate thing to applying for the actual visa? Which is done first and if the first one is approved, does that mean the second application will go through? This is all so complex and I'm trying very hard to get a grip on it.

Oh, and one more question, if your visa says occupation x but you want to work in occupation y, can you?

thanks

No worries,

A) unless you wish to lodge a 2nd visa application and pay a 2nd fee I would think you would want to obtain state sponsorship first

B) reading above you probably realise State Sponsorship is seperate but does impact the visa application

C) with state sponsoship you have a higher priority and would expect to receive a quicker decision and hopefully a visa

D) your nominated skill would essentially be the "ticket", ie you must be on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), Skilled Migration Plan (State lists) to qualify, then not using your best asset would be kinda odd and probably frowned upon by the Australian and State Governments.

Again I hope that's useful, if not please dont be dishartened someone with better literaty skills will surely explain soon enough or just asked fo clarification!

best wishes

- 4lan.

So, to clarify, you apply for the state sponsorship before you apply for the visa? Who do you apply to for the state sponsorship? Is it the actual state? With the skill it's just semantics really, OH qualifies for 120 points as a civil engineer, but 110 as a site manager so he'll apply as a civil eng but to be honest he tends to do both anyway in his line of work...

You apply to the State for sponsorship based on your willingness to live and work there and that the appropriate skills are in demand in that state.

Check the various state websites for details about which skills they are looking for and whether your OH may be elligible.

Actually prior to applying for state sponsorship you would need to have your OH skills assessed too.

Frankly I've assumed that you had this done and are offshore.

The process is extremely complicated and I would strongly suggest you review the DIAC website in detail for an overview of the process.

If you need help this forum can help with specific questions however it cannot substitute for a thorough knowledge of the immigration process. Given the difficulty of applying for a visa if you dont believe you are up to the challenge to go it alone you could contact some registered migration agents for a free initial assesssment on your chances which could lead to them guiding you through the process.

Again I apologise for the splurge of information but I hope it helps.

- 4lan.

Guest VickyMel

Just bringing in the links to the states re the state sponsorship lists for you

(Stolen from Connies Cat 2 thread!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMP LISTS

VICTORIA: Eligibility Lists - Live in Victoria

ACT: http://mia.org.au/media/File/SMP_Occ...OccupationList

New South Wales:

Northern Territory: http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/docum...ge_List_FA.pdf

Queensland: SS (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) Eligible Skills List (75 KB)

South Australia: State Sponsored Migration List 2011 :: Make The Move

Tasmania: http://www.development.tas.gov.au/__..._List_STMP.pdf

Western Australia: The Department of Training and Workforce Development - Skilling WA - a workforce development plan for Western Australia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at the states you might be happy to commit to living and working in for 2 years.

The different states have different requirements - some do need to see a skills assessment first - others don't

Some need you to provide proof of a certain amount of funds.

VickyMel

Archived