Travelling internally with your baggage?!

Becki

Hi,

We are hoping to make the move to Oz in December. We are both young with no children and although we've been to Oz before we wanted to travel a little when we get there before setting into jobs etc. We'd like to fly into Syd and spend a few weeks there before reaching our final destination in Perth.

My question is has anyone ever tried this? We are trying to travel as lightly as possible but will probably have 2 suitcases each.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Becki

Guest The Joker

If you are flying into Sydney and staying in Sydney before flying out to Perth then you might consider FedEx'ing your "extra" suitcases to Perth - although you will need to have someone agree to have them delivered to their house and receive them for you. Taking them on an internal flight might be a bit pricey but you can always contact the airlines to find out what the excess baggage charges are. If you are using Syndey as a base and flying off to other states then going off to Perth then definitely post or courier them to Perth as it will be a darn sight cheaper.

Just a comment, but have you got the luggage allowance on the long haul flight to carry two cases each?

Touristing with two cases is a pain, I've done it before on my way home from my gap year and would not recommend it. You'll pay a small fortune to have them as extra luggage on the domestic flights, so unless you're travelling by car, then it's probably best to have them shipped to Perth.

Otherwise, maybe fly into Perth, drop the luggage off and then set off on your travels.

our allowance on Singapore Airlines to get to Oz was 20Kg but flying from Brisbane to Melbourne was 23kg. Travel with as few clothes as possible, You can buy loads of cheap t shirts and shorts etc when you get here.

My top tip for men is to buy a new suit with 2 pairs of trousers before you come to Oz (i miss M & S) as suits are very expensive and you cannot buy off the peg - trousers and jacket separately. You have to buy the suit and have trousers altered (more expense) WTF????

Bring an extension socket so you can plug in more than 1 mobile/laptop/camera/whatever by plug it into a travel plug/Aussie socket

Load all of you CDs onto an ipod and go and buy one or a hard drive if you dont have one. CDs are expensive to buy here or ship over

Archived