9:00 am on 16th Aug Rate $A2.46 going up

Guest chris&dave

Guest chris&dave

If you need to change money, keep a close eye on the rate. Its gone from $A2.32 to $A2.46 over the last week.

Just been on the phone to Halo. The aussie dollar is fluctuating quite a bit, the rate drops a few cents and then picks up again in the next hour. We just fixed a rate of 2.47 but have a limit offer in place for 2.53 which our broker reckons we stand a good chance of getting.

Start negotiating guys or it could be back to last weeks rate before we know it!

Guest chris&dave

You can always take the rate now (currently $A2.55) and pay later using one of the currency dealers like HIFX. You would have to put down 10% of the total amount. You can defer payment to them for several months, so this might be a way of securing today's rates for you. I did it when the rates were high back in March and deferred payment for three months.

Guest donovan

Hiya just transfered money through Commonwealth and got a rate of $2.52, post office is $2.385 from today

Sarahx

Guest andylane
You can always take the rate now (currently $A2.55) and pay later using one of the currency dealers like HIFX. You would have to put down 10% of the total amount. You can defer payment to them for several months, so this might be a way of securing today's rates for you. I did it when the rates were high back in March and deferred payment for three months.

Well i did it! :wideeyed::unsure: Just bought at 2.5% my house/life savings gone to Hifx - hope i did right. and you are right chris&dave10% now and the rest 10 days before we go. Geeez got to open a oz bank account now WESTPAC here i come.

Guest chris&dave

You'll be fine you got a great deal, well done everyone who has managed to get anywhere above 2.50, considering where the $ was a couple of weeks ago, it can make a lot of difference when you are transferring monies from the sale of your house. This site is excellent to make people aware of situations just like this

Guest thistles and gum trees

:unsure: Watched like a hawk yesterday...... sent in a Market Order for 2.48 but never made it. They have just offered us at 2.45 - still not sure what to do - watching and waiting but so very scared it will drop........... Wish we hadn't gone away last week... But glad for you guys who made the change - well done.

Guest alfixie

We did exactly the same as you, and watched all day yesterday. We had to borrow and beg to get the 10%. I wish we had took last week aswell, my OH keeps saying just buy and I keep hesitating, thought the visa process was hard enough!!!

Thanks Chris and Dave didn't know about the 10%.

OK I have just done it!!!!!! I went for 2.465. I know its a lot less than last week but its much better than 2 weeks ago. Peace of mind at least. I now have to tell my husband when he comes home!!! We had the order in for 2.48 but i was just soooo worried. Its done now and at least I can get on witht he packing - as if that makes me feel good!!!!

Good luck to all. And thanks Chris and Dave.

Guest chris&dave

Don't keep looking now you've done it. You have to move on. Well done, as you say a lot better than a couple of weeks back. Nice bottle of wine for OH tonight with his dinner.

Yes - thanks. Its a bit like watching the end of deal or no deal after they have taken the money!! Wow real life is quite frightening. We wanted to get a good price without greed making us lose our way and I feel happy now that we have changed when we did. Even if it gets higher - this was obviously the right time for us. Thanks again for all your advice. Did you ever get a car sorted?????

Hope your travel to Aus goes well C&D. When do you fly out and who with??? We go with Malaysian on the 23rd October . Landing in Melbourne 27th!!! Not long now. All the best, Sarah

Guest chris&dave

We arrive on the 29th Sept going with Emirates. We've booked a hire car for 5 days and hope to buy one within that time. Dave has identified which car he wants and is monitoring the web sites around Mornington on a daily basis.

Chris

Archived