Things to do before you go.

Tez

Hi all,

As you were all so helpful in my last thread about getting health insurance thought i would ask all you UK people who have gone to Oz on a temp 457 visa what you did before you went .What i mean is things like did you get an Intl Driver Permit ? did you have to tell the tax office ? have you had to cancel pensions or just let them keep going ? if anyone has a checklist that i can have a look at as i think i am doing ok with the organising then something else crops up and i am looking a list of things as long as my arm to do .It's confusing and stressful enough moving to the other side of the world but when my list is getting longer not shorter its getting to me! help..... thanks in advance ...:confused:

Hi

Re: Driving license. An international driving permit isn't required. You can drive on your UK license in QLD. Your authority to drive in Queensland on you UK driver licence would only be withdrawn if you met any of the following conditions.

• become medically unfit to drive safely
  • are an Australian citizen and you have been residing in Queensland for three months
  • are not an Australian citizen, but before you took up residence in Queensland you were given a resident visa and you have now been residing in Queensland for three months
  • are not an Australian citizen, but after you took up residence in Queensland you were given a resident visa and you have now been residing in Queensland for three months since getting the visa.

Note: A resident visa means a permanent visa or a special category visa under the Migration Act 1958 (Commonwealth). These visas allow a person to stay indefinitely in Australia. Other visas, for example a temporary, business or guardian visa, that allows a person to stay in Australia for a limited time, or until a certain event happens or while they have a special status, is not a resident visa.

Of course you may choose to get a QLD license as it can be beneficial for meeting ID requirements etc.

Not specifically related to 457 visas, but there's a good relocation check list @ Relocation Checklist - Live in Victoria

Archived