How much to ship? What about the extras? How much...you're Joking!!

lyndalelodge

I'm in the process of getting quotes to ship a 20 ft container (originally going for a 40ft, but were getting tough and will cut it down!) from Scotland to Brisbane and the 5 companies we've asked so far are approx the same, say £4,250 - £4,750 ish.

Then I start digging and ask:

How much to send a 100 cubic feet or so by groupage?

How much is storage in Oz?

How much if we end up further away from Brissie, say 200 miles or so?

Suddenly the quotes are all over the place:wacko:

I get one company with a good price to Brissie, but charging an extra £1,500 to go the extra 200 miles:shocked:

Another with quite a high Brissie quote, but £400 to go the other 200 miles?!

Groupage is just as bad, some are twice as expensive as others.

And as for storage, 2 of the companies are 4 times dearer than the cheapest one!!:goofy:

It's a */??@** minefield:unsure:

Close my eyes and point to the winner?!!

Guest ClaireT

Hi, we have had three companies out this week and cheapest was £4500 dearest £6250 for shipping 20ft container from Scotland to Perth. We are taking car & motorbike.

Still waiting on quote from 3rd company and arranging another quote for next week - completely agree its a minefield I have gone from taking a few bits n bobs to taking everything! Im all shipped out! Good luck and if all else fails toss a coin!

Guest Jamie Hunter

Just got quote from Anglo Pacific for 40ft container although we're only filling about 30ft of it - if that! Quoted £4100 door to door service and around $500 for customs 'stuff'. John Masson have an odd online self assessment for what's been removed and gave a quote of £2000 but im sure an actual survey would increase the quote.

We're at the point of thinking, "is it worth shipping stuff"?

Might look into air freight for just essentials we want to take and sell house hold stuff with house or privately! Going to have to buy things anyway if we ship!

What's more important, material goods or a life in Australia? .... so many questions to answer!

We started off getting quotes for about 1500 cubic feet, which filled 30' of a 40' container and the cheapest after AQIS was coming in around £7k, so we started getting tougher and are down to about 1200 cubic feet.

For us, it's just a case of being sensible and leaving stuff behind that realistically we wont need or might replace soon in Oz, or stuff thats quite cheap in OZ (not much!). e.g. we've a lot of Ikea stuff, some is astronomical in Oz, but dining stuff seem to be a lot cheaper, so that gets behind now. also, our American fridge freezer and dishwasher are both 7 years old (pretty old these days!), so we'll try and sell with the house.

That said, if we'd been quoted £4,100 for 30' of a 40' container, we'd be quite happy taking it all, but Anglo Pacific quoted us £7,050, exc AQIS!!!

I need to learn how to barter better!!

Guest Jamie Hunter

YIKES :wideeyed: that quote is crazy!

Thinking of going back to AP and asking about a shared container and leaving our bulkier stuff like armchairs.

Hi Lyndalelodge

I am going from Scotland to Brisbane and was quote between £4100 and £4500 for a 20ft container, however, once getting them back to requote nearer the time of booking, they suggested to save money we could book the space in a 40ft container (groupage) but they'd guarantee it left after we filled it regardless of if it was full or not. This brought the price down to around £3200. As long as we give them enough time to at least try and fill it.

You could ask if the companies you've contacted would do this.

Shaz

Guest Dracona

we're getting rid of all furniture and anything we can get again, so narrowed it down to 5-6 boxes of personal items and a few household goods. Definitely imho better to get new items when there.

Guest Guest 47403
we're getting rid of all furniture and anything we can get again, so narrowed it down to 5-6 boxes of personal items and a few household goods. Definitely imho better to get new items when there.

Have to diagree with that we are even buying stuff in we need before we go, for example looked at a bed we want for one of the kids £140 in IKEA here £180 in IKEA in oz everything is more expensive out there, we could not replace the stuff we would leave behind for the money it will cost to ship it! It's ok to leave it all behind if you can really afford it but we want our savings and equity out the house for a big a deposit as possible when we decide to get a mortgage.

Guest physmum

I wouldn't try and buy everything new over here - everything is SOOO expensive in Australia now that the exchange rate has changed! We have just moved into our house in Melbourne and had to buy a few bits and pieces and are so glad that we shipped everything over. Furniture shopping with two young children sucks big time! Still, we did manage to get a couple of nice things cheaply through a furniture auction today so not all doom and gloom!

We got a 20ft container from London to Melbourne and it was £3800 plus the $Aus 450 customs fee. IMO it is definitely better to get sole container use if you can afford it, esp if you are on a strict time frame. Ours was door to door within about 8 weeks and it all went really well (we used Excess International which 2 of our other friends used to Perth without any probs).

Good luck with the move - life in Aus is great ;)

Archived