Travelling Oz

Guest mooney

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are looking to travel Oz in 2012, we are aged 25 & 23. This is a new venture and have not got a clue where to start even planning this trip. We aim to stay in Oz for approx 1 year maybe more if possible. If anyone can help to answer some of the questions I have it would be much appreciated.

1) We are looking to go in April 2012, is this a good time of year to enter Australia?

2) Where is the best place to start from? i.e sydney, melbourne

3) How much money do you think would be needed to go out to Oz with including money for flights e.t.c?

4) What are the hostels like & how much would you expect to pay a night on average.

5) What kind of work is available and how easy is it to get work?

6) What prices would you expect to pay for buses and trains.

Any advice that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you :biggrin:

1) We are looking to go in April 2012, is this a good time of year to enter Australia?

Errr who can say?! I mean there's not really a good or bad time to go anywhere. That's kinda autumn time so it won't necessarily be as hot, but that depends a bit on where you go to as well. Hmm!!

2) Where is the best place to start from? i.e sydney, melbourne

There isn't a best place in my opinion but maybe you could start from Perth and work around as that's on the Western side then just work... up-over round and down and back or go down-over, round and back? I don't really know, depends what you wanna see!

3) How much money do you think would be needed to go out to Oz with including money for flights e.t.c?

The answer to this is quite a bit probably. If you wanna include flights... internal flights can be pretty cheap. Google "Tiger Airways" for example they've recently been having a sale... as little as $29 from Melbourne to Hobart. They don't go everywhere and they're not on-time and I don't think they go to major domestic airports but close enough. Give that a whirl or Virgin Blue, JetStar...

4) What are the hostels like & how much would you expect to pay a night on average.

Hostels are called Backpackers here. Lots around. Not sure on prices sorry.

5) What kind of work is available and how easy is it to get work?

...A lot easier than in the UK at the moment... but you do know you have to have a visa/work permit right?! A Working Holiday Visa would probably be most ideal for you as you want to do a lot of travelling.

6) What prices would you expect to pay for buses and trains.

Well in South East Queensland you pay a fair bit unless you have a 'go card'. You save about a 3rd on all public transport by having one. You can see all the info on Welcome to TransLink but overall public transport is cheaper and more efficiently run here... except the trains if you ask me, they're a bit old and gross in a way but that's fine. :cute:

Archived