Can we process two SMP Apps in parallel

MissionOZ

Hello everyone,

I am new to Aussie Immigration. Also waiting for NSW SMP to come out that seems to be taking ages now. as SMP quotas are limited, I don't want to wait for eternity for NSW SMP while other state quotas are running out.

My question is can we apply for another SMP (e.g. victoria's) while waiting for NSW? and if I apply for Vic's SMP now, and later want to lodge another for NSW's; will it be a problem?

Some states want you to have interest in their state only. I think VIC is one of them. They have a way of knowing and may reject your application based on this. This as happened in the past as well. It is better to decide which state you wish to go to and then apply.

As regards NSW, there has been talk that their SMP will not be a large list so unless you are sure your occupation will be on it, it is worth waiting.

Guest VickyMel

In the past you could - some states were OK with it - others not. What the situation is these days I do not know - they now have quotas - I suppose the states may just oversubscribe the number of people they give SMP to to cover those that drop out or apply to more than one state and then leave it to DIAC to monitor the number of visas granted?

I know for example that VIC do not like you to approach another state and consider it very negatively and seem to have some way of checking.

Here is a thread of people applying to VIC it may be of interest

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/99554-new-vic-smp-where-you-now.html

I have seen other people apply to more than one state and then choose which they are going to follow through with.

Hopefully others will come and let you know re the other states position (maybe write and ask them?).

VickyMel

Some states want you to have interest in their state only. I think VIC is one of them. They have a way of knowing and may reject your application based on this. This as happened in the past as well. It is better to decide which state you wish to go to and then apply.

As regards NSW, there has been talk that their SMP will not be a large list so unless you are sure your occupation will be on it, it is worth waiting.

Thats exactly my fear. NSW definitely is my first choice but last thing I want is to be in a situation where, when NSW release their list, my occupation is not in it and meanwhile Vic's quota for the occupation has expired.

My profession is ICT. and as NSW claims to have 40% share of all ICT jobs, hopefully mine will be in it; but no definite way to know (is it?) .currently I am waiting for my ACS assessment to complete.

Any suggestions on what should be the course of action ?

Guest VickyMel
one more thing, I have gone through Vic's FAQ's for SMP. Haven't find any hint that they deny or reject such cases so how to be sure ? shud I email them or s'thing ?

I used to run an thread for people going to VIC back in 2009 (can't find it off hand - but a search might find it) - a couple of people got letters from VIC stating that they did not consider them committed to Victoria.

If they had applied elsewhere they had to write letters stating their committment and explaining why they had been in contact with another state. One that had applied to another state had to cancel that application before VIC would continue considering them.

I have not seen it recently - maybe ask in the current VIC thread if anyone has actually be questioned about this recently? Maybe it is just historic (but I can't see why they would change). People recently have been asked to write statements of committment to VIC.

Or just write and ask VIC I am sure they will tell you.

VickyMel

one more thing, I have gone through Vic's FAQ's for SMP. Haven't find any hint that they deny or reject such cases so how to be sure ? shud I email them or s'thing ?

I have seen cases where they have rejected people because they have applied to other states. You can write to them if you like and hopefully, you will get an answer.

Archived