Council tax equivalent?

Guest The Jenners

Guest The Jenners

Hi,

We are trying to cost out monthly budgets etc and would like to find out if there is any equivalent of council tax in Aus? I have googled with no success, so any help would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks in advance!

Tony and Jac

Hiya

We have just returned from Brisbane ,and we're told the rates go by the size of your land not the size of property ,ambulance fees are also included in your rates,the APPROX figures we were given equaled 400 english pound for a year based on an acre and half of land ,IN SOUTH BRISBANE.We were taking part in a BBC documentary type show and they asked us to compare cost of living from here (manchester) to brisbane overall it evens itself out to be the same as here ,our only UP was in Oz we wouldnt have a mortgage to pay off.If you need any more info just ask ,and if anyone wants to correct on anything ive said feel free as it was something i was told and would love anyone to confirm .ABC DIAMOND can you help !!!

cAL X

Guest ABCDiamond
Hiya

We have just returned from Brisbane ,and we're told the rates go by the size of your land not the size of property ,ambulance fees are also included in your rates,the APPROX figures we were given equaled 400 english pound for a year based on an acre and half of land ,IN SOUTH BRISBANE.We were taking part in a BBC documentary type show and they asked us to compare cost of living from here (manchester) to brisbane overall it evens itself out to be the same as here ,our only UP was in Oz we wouldnt have a mortgage to pay off.If you need any more info just ask ,and if anyone wants to correct on anything ive said feel free as it was something i was told and would love anyone to confirm .ABC DIAMOND can you help !!!

cAL X

:D

In QLD, Ambulance Fees are actually covered in your Electric Bill, not rates ;) In other states you need a seperate insurance policy

Rates, in QLD, are calculated on the "Unimproved" value of your land. For example, two properties, one worth $550k and the other worth $270k, both on identical sized land in the same area, but with very different houses, were valued the same at $180k, and rates calculated on that $180k value, meaning the rates were the same for both. (Those are actual examples)

Acreage in the country will often be valued less than a small plot on one of the canal estates with water access etc.

My own rates, in the Redlands area, work out at $1,880 per year, but this also includes water usage, as it is all paid on the same bill, in my part of QLD. This is for an average suburban block about 800sqm.

The actual Rates breakdown for the last quarter is :

General rate $182.29

Environement Charge $17.50

Landfill Remediation Charge $3.00

State Gov Fire Levy $ 33.00

Water Access $40.75

Water Consumption $41.34 (for average of 782 litres per day)

Sewerage $113.43

Waste & Recycling Service $45.50

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mandymoo

Hi ABC Diamond,

I wonder if you can answer a couple of questions for me on this subject.

We are looking to rent. Do you know if the rates are included in the rent or do you pay this seperately?? And also, I believe - and I could be wrong, but when you pay rent, your electricity is included in the monthly rental payments. Does this mean that we are covered by the ambulance service should we need it, or would we need to take out a seperate policy??

Thanks ever so much.

Amanda x

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi ABC Diamond,

I wonder if you can answer a couple of questions for me on this subject.

We are looking to rent. Do you know if the rates are included in the rent or do you pay this seperately?? And also, I believe - and I could be wrong, but when you pay rent, your electricity is included in the monthly rental payments. Does this mean that we are covered by the ambulance service should we need it, or would we need to take out a seperate policy??

Thanks ever so much.

Amanda x

Your rent covers the rates, but you do have to pay for your own electricity and gas (if applicable), and sometimes you also pay your own water usage.

Any QLD resident is covered for Ambulance service automatically, irrespective of who pays the electric bill (which contains the ambulance levy charge), even those who don't have electric are covered :)

Archived