taking dogs to oZ

wickett5

hi all you poms

i am a trained nurse looking to come to oz my major concern is my animals

i have 13 yorkshire terriers but :biglaugh: would be in a position to buy in oz a property with land

how possible would this be for me to take all my dogs?

many thanks for your help

regards

helen

WOW thats a lot of dogs!!!!!! I find two hard enough!! That is going to cost you thousands......tens of thousands!!

I am taking two staffies and its costing me £4700 in total for both dogs (£1526 quarantine / £310 AQIS permits / £2372 flights / £500 vets). Obviously yorkies are a lot smaller so you'll pay less for flights but everything else will be the same I imagine.

I am sure I have read somewhere that there is a limit on number of dogs you can own....might have imagined that though!!

I remember reading a thread on here before saying that only two dogs are permitted providing they are registered, but you can apply for a third dog, providing neighbours and council etc agree, also that its a lengthly process, im sure someone living in oz will be able to provide you with more details, (hope im wrong) wishing you luck Dawn x

I remember reading a thread on here before saying that only two dogs are permitted providing they are registered, but you can apply for a third dog, providing neighbours and council etc agree, also that its a lengthly process, im sure someone living in oz will be able to provide you with more details, (hope im wrong) wishing you luck Dawn x

Aaaah I didn't imagine it! I think I read something very similar on a council website...there is nothing about that on the council website where we plan to move so maybe its not an Australia wide thing.

Guest Guest31881

You need to check with the local council what regulations are in place for dogs. Most only allow 2 per property. You will probably need special permission to have that many dogs on one property

I think there may be other arrangements if you are a registered breeder (assume that that is why you have 13 dogs) but you would probably then have to live outside of the city areas. Perhaps you could check out where the Yorkie breeders in Australia are which will give you some idea of the areas you could look at living.

Probably you would need to look for a more rural area with large plots and distant neighbours.

As for the cost - an arm and a leg and then some - perhaps you could get someone to take care of them for you then find yourself a place in Oz, then send half of them and then the other half a few months later (which will at least give you a chance to make some money and pay for your initial start up costs)

Archived