West Melbourne Suburbs

emmafaye

Hi,

We are looking at 3 bed rentals around the western side of Melbourne, particulary Point Cook, Werribee, and even as far up as Caroline Springs.

Can anyone advise us on areas where there is a direct train into the city and is around 30-60mins travelling time (by train) for the OH. He doesnt particulary want to drive into the city as I will be in need of a car whilst at home with the little one.

We have visited the Mornington Peninsula and driven to Warrnambool before, so we understand the vastness of Victoria etc, especially as we are coming from the UK!

If anyone can recommend some nice new (ish) estates, close to amenties and train line, and with a good reputation (ish!...i know you cant go on opinions etc, but just to give us an idea) we would be most grateful!

Thanks and happy new year peoples!

Em x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Em

I have moved your post to it's own thread then it doesn't get ignored.

Can I ask why you are looking at the West suburbs? Is this where you felt was better for yourself and your family when you were over here, there is nothing wrong with the West just wondered if you were open to other suburb suggestions.

If it is the West you are looking for and wanting new estates then I think Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes are probably the best ones. You would have to catch a bus or drop your OH off at Laverton Station and then it's a 35 min train drive to Flinders Street.

Hi,

We have family (lots of family!) in Mornington Peninsula area, and although we love them all to bits, we would like to move somewhere where we can build our own lives and not have the door knocking constantly. Although the family support at the beginning of moving will be great, we feel we would like to be far enough away that we have to make our own friends etc and not be reliant on 'their' friends becoming 'our' friends etc. (hope that makes sense!) Basically we want to be close, but far enough away also.

We are completely open to suggestions, anywhere that is a 30-60min train journey with a train station close by...the closer the better really.

Ideally I would like some amenties close by, I would be looking for a part-time job and my daughter will need a primary school. We are restricted by our desire to only rent for $300-350 p/w and from my research on the web, this limits us to areas on the outskirts. We are not fussed on units/houses/apartments as we may decide to try another area after 6 months, once we have settled and got our bearings a bit.

The main reason we were looking at the Western suburbs is the expat community that is over that way. I dont envisage us needing the support that greatly, but it would be nice to know that it was around if the time came when it was required.

Anyways, after all that, any suggestions you have will definitely be looked into!

Thanks for getting back to me,

Em x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Em

You have lots of expat support in the SE suburbs, like Berwick, Lynbrook, Lyndhurst, Cranbourne all these places are on the train line and are decent places to live with a family. There are lots of the girls who meet up for BBQ's, picnics, days out, shopping trips, book clubs, you name it.

Point Cook and Sanctuary are nice though and you would probably be able to get a rental in your budget range, just remember that 98% of rentals in Melbourne are on 12 month leases.

Kate

Archived