Moving to Townsville Feb 2011

Brihinia30

Hi everyone

My family and I are moving to Townsville(TSV) early Feb and I cant describe the preparation stress that Iam going thru trying to get everything sorted. I am on a 457 sponsorship visa by Mater Hosp. I would appreciate advise from those who relocated to Townsville on the following issues:

Flights from london to TSV: I got a reasonable price quotation from LHR-TSV via sydney or Brisbane with Quantas but apparently the domestic flight to Townsville is operated by Jetstar or some Quantas domestic flights which Iam worried may cause changes in baggage limit (different from Quantas international flights) which would strain my very tight budget.

• Has anyone been asked to pay extra on getting to TSV?
  • Re: removals (Kent to Townsville): any advise on budget companies to use as I don't have a relocation package (got the job via agency)?:mad:
  • I would be grateful for advise re: good places to live perhaps within commutable distance to hospital and schools as I have a teenage daughter

I am sorry if the post is long, just shows how stressed Iam. Otherwise, merry christmas to you all.

Guest guest32776

You can easily get a flight from Brisbane to Townsville - booking them seperately is no issue at all - you need to change airports in Brisbane from the International to the Domestic - a small pain - as you need to get the train to the Domestic - probably somewhat jetlagged and hot by then!! You do have to pay extra with Jetstar for your baggage as it is budget - check out their site for the details Cheap flights - Jetstar Airways or virgin blue Virgin Blue Home - if you are leaving the Uk from London another and much cheaper international flight option is Airasia.com - which would get you to Coolangatta on the Gold Coast - and then you can fly to Townsville. Don't panic about the inter Australia changes - the airports are pretty quiet compared to the UK, the staff are helpful and things seem to run much smoother.....

I don't know about the removal companies as I live on a boat but in terms of nice areas try North Ward, South Townsville, Hermit Park.... you will probably need a car almost immediately as the town is very spaced out (public transport is pretty bad) and you (sorry to say) will be arriving in the middle of the wet season - very humid and extremely rainy. Don't be put off - the weather is beautiful in May /June/July time......

Have a quick browse thru this Townsville thread thats already running. Has a lot of info on it and maybe some contacts for when you get here.

Can't help too much on the removals front, but flights and transfers International/Domestic thru Brisbane is pretty simple, much easier than UK we found. There will be a cost for excess baggage i would have thought no matter who you fly with, unless you can stay below the domestic limit from the outset.

We have been here for about 9 months, love the place. Its hot and humid right now, but its a great place to live.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/50115-anyone-townsville.html

Archived