Capital - What's the best/profitable way to utilize

Ezy Going

Hello,

I will moving to OZ (SA in particular since I have their sponsorship) by the end of 2011. I believe that I can manage to arrange a capital of around 200,000 AUD (+/- 10,000 AUD) by that time.

Can anyone guide me what is the best option to utilize that capital? I mean should I try to buy a house with it? or should I try to invest it in some kind of business? Which businesses are popular and can be managed with in this amount of capital?

Personally I would like to invest it some where (may be a service station, a grocery shop or some small franchisee etc etc) so that even if I do not get a job instantly I do not start eating up my saving but would it be better to invest in business or buy property or may be some other use which I am not aware of.

Any type of serious suggestion will be welcome.

Hi

It's difficult to answer as no one knows what the housing market is going to be like in 12 months time. I think you'd struggle to buy a house outright for $200,000. An apartment would be possible and you'd still have some money left over to tide you over until you find a job.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to tie up all my money if I didn't have a job already lined up, as it could take months to find a new job. You could possible put it in a savings account which pays the interest monthly. AMP have a monthly interest savings account paying around the 6% mark at the moment (may be higher by the time you get here), so that would give you around $1000 a month in interest which would help with living expenses until you get a job.

Guest guest32776

I think term deposits might get you 6-7% in Australia but do you intend to bring it all over and take the hit on the exchange rate? Personally I would transfer as and when needed. I am not sure about buying a franchise or small business... I've looked at similar things myself but decided I don't really understand the purchasing psychology of another nation. There is also a ludicrous amount of red tape involved. I find UK property has worked well... The London rental market is very firm and property values in the right areas have held up (there are tax benefits as an expat as well) - this is about a 7% return. Other than that high dividend stocks such as vodafone or shell? 6 or 7 % Preference bearing interest shares can be up to 13% if you fancy a higher risk/reward

Sorry! Just noticed you are in Angola!! My post probably doesn't help you too much

What area of employment are you looking for?

I am a Telecom Consultant and a Certified Project manager for telecoms. But for investment I am open for any suggestion.... a food franchisee attracts me more since edibles are always in demand..... people always love to eat :biggrin:

Guest Toorak Trev
I am a Telecom Consultant and a Certified Project manager for telecoms. But for investment I am open for any suggestion.... a food franchisee attracts me more since edibles are always in demand..... people always love to eat :biggrin:

food franchisee are always in the for sale section of business brokers for a reason.

Serious returns over 30% are not from this structured employment trap.

Archived