4 weeks in the Illawarra, still no closer to getting a rental home...help!!!

Cruella2949

Hey all,

This is now our 4th week and we are not getting anywhere fast. Aparently its the worse situation ever in the Illawarra for rented property. Theres nothing anywhere!! We are now having to seriously consider our options as we cannot afford to carry on living in very expensive serviced apartments, esp with our stuff due to arrive early January that we may have to pay storage for!

Warning to you all before you head this way!!

If anyone can help we are trying to get a 3 bed house with a bit of garden space for a trampoline. Nothing special so long as its not decrepid like the few we have viewed recently (it amazes me the standards that real estate agents will accept)!! For any decent property we have seen, there is aproximately 20 - 30 other applicants going for it too! :arghh:

With the situation so dire here, I have even come across a real estate secretary who has refused point blank to accept my applications for numerous ridiculous reasons that amazes me! She has a clear issue with British people!

So we are faced with this Christmas in our temporary home which wouldnt be so bad if it had an oven!

If anyone can help, knows someone in real estate who can help, or knows of any rental property going, please can you get in touch! We would be eternally grateful to you...:wubclub:

The standard of housing down here is dire - and they are expensive considering they often need a massive make over. How they can promote that original feature of a kitchen from the 1950s, as a plus point, baffles me=?? Dont know where abouts you are looking - but further afield from wgong, just had a look on realestate earlier, and talking to a friend this morning - there are a few in Kiama Downs - I personally think this is much nicer than anywhere in the gong - near the beach - really good school, trainline both directions to get about, 30 mins to wgong. Shell cove has a couple - not my cup of tea - just like a huge housing estate, but again - a good school there and the housing is new/modern. From looking both north and south of gong myself - I do prefer the south. Failing that - can always offer you a garage to store stuff and a glass of vino!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, the rudness I experienced from 2 receptionists was disgusting! The one female (certainly not a lady), totally patronised me in front of others like you wouldnt believe. I left the office in tears and spent the day wishing we never made the move. Thankfully hubbys boss was brill an has helped us no end in getting a place! I'm going to have to learn to toughen up a bit an flash a bit of arrogance back in future!

Archived