Rabies Jab for travel back to uk

lismith25

Guest christi
Fantastic news - I'm really pleased I know that will be a lot off your mind. Wishing you a very happy last Christmas living in Oz x

Thanks for that, it is a huge weight lifted

Wishing you a Happy Christmas as well and I hope all of your hopes and plans come true x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest methuselah

I thought it was a year & booked our 3 cats in for their annual booster, then got a call from the vet to say they didn't need it as it goes by the vaccine expiry date. This was confirmed by DEFRA too, so I copied their email & printed it & appended it to their papers as proof. Hopefully we'll be gone before the next one is due. Daft though isn't it? No rabies in Oz, no rabies in UK BUT we still have to go through all this rigmarole.

Crikes this is an interesting thread , we got our dog sorted with Rabies as soon as we landed so we could do 6 months asap , ( never say never !)

I have just been and looked at his vacc cert and he also has nobivac !?! so we have already had one yearly booster and he will be soon up for another , so im going to ask the vets re; this? ... whats really worrying is how much damage are we doing if we are over vaccinating our pets ?

I once got told some other countries do not do the normal vaccinations yearly either its 3 yrs .. makes you wonder doesn't it ? anyway hoping all that are heading back with their furry pals a safe and happy journey ! all the best ! xx

Guest methuselah

Yes, many people don't know that it isn't necessarily an annual dose - it depends on the vaccine - this is what Defra said to me:

Thank you for your email received 29th June 2010,

You are advised to contact the rabies vaccine manufacturer, stating the batch number used (should be on the certificate) and the date administered, for confirmation of the validity. This could be 1,2 or 3 years (but as we understand it not 6 month intervals). Provided the vaccine is valid for more than 1 year, your cats will not require a booster vaccination until 3th July 2011.

Our cats had their first rabies vaccination on 4th July '09. I went to book their booster for July '10, then got a call to say they didn't need it yet as the vaccine didn't expire until April 2012 and so they wouldn't need a booster till (can't remember). So that's when I contacted Defra and the above is what they said. I gather that, as the system works in 'whole years', that is why their booster will be due in July 2011 instead of April 2012. It was a Nobivac vaccine.

The cynic in me tells me that there is a lot of money in rabies vaccinations. No wonder we now have a shortage! But to give vets their due, the whole system is well complicated so I'm not surprised some are getting it wrong.

Incidentally, we have a kitten who has just had his first rabies jab (he will have to follow us over when his formalities are complete), and we are told that because a kitten's immunity isn't complete, they recommend a booster after a month. Then the blood test a month after that. Which means he can't come to the UK till September, which is ages. So we're taking him at the enbd of January for his booster and getting the antibody test at the same time, given that it might be okay, but if not, he will already have had his 'kitten' booster and that will save us a month should he need a second blood test. Complicated or what? Thank God the pet transport companies sort out all the rest, (third country veterinary certificates, Hendra certificates.....) all of which make the cost of getting an animal back home more pricey than our own fares!

• 4 months later...
Guest Ph0en1x

We are using JetPets too. We have 2 weeks to go before the Rabies blood tests, they should be fine because our 2 Staffy's had 2 rabies jabs 2 weeks apart to ensure that the $300 tests came back positive. Only 6 months to go then, yippeee

Guest Ph0en1x

Karen

I have been quoted $4300 for our 2 staffy's and our cat to Heathrow, i guess it may depend on the crate size though

Archived