Which way to go?

Counting Stars

Hi,

Was looking for some advice really would appreciate anything you can help with. Our family is my husband and I and our 2 children, we live in the UK and Hubby is in the Army and has been in 9 years.

Our dilemma is that we want to move to Australia, we have both done since we got together but we were younger then and we have decided we want to make the move sooner (in the next couple of years) rather than later.

So we have 2 options so to speak of getting into Australia, the first is my husband transferring to the Australian Army which he would rather do as he loves being in the 'Army environment' or the second is to go in as civilians, he currently has qualifications in Plastering, Painting and Decorating and a few others like that that are still on the Skilled jobs list. What do you think our best way is to get in?

Would his Army qualifications and experience get us in on a skilled visa? (He does use his trade at work) or would he have to leave and work to gain work experience (outside the army) to get a Skilled visa?

Would most appreciate any sort of help :wink:

Thank you very much

Sorry should have added as well, obviously we have no guarantee about getting into the Australian Army so if we dont would his qualifications be good enough, is there any way we can find out? As if we go as civilians he will have the chance in his resettlement to gain more qualifications/experience.

Thank you

Hi,

Was looking for some advice really would appreciate anything you can help with. Our family is my husband and I and our 2 children, we live in the UK and Hubby is in the Army and has been in 9 years.

Our dilemma is that we want to move to Australia, we have both done since we got together but we were younger then and we have decided we want to make the move sooner (in the next couple of years) rather than later.

So we have 2 options so to speak of getting into Australia, the first is my husband transferring to the Australian Army which he would rather do as he loves being in the 'Army environment' or the second is to go in as civilians, he currently has qualifications in Plastering, Painting and Decorating and a few others like that that are still on the Skilled jobs list. What do you think our best way is to get in?

Would his Army qualifications and experience get us in on a skilled visa? (He does use his trade at work) or would he have to leave and work to gain work experience (outside the army) to get a Skilled visa?

Would most appreciate any sort of help :wink:

Thank you very much

hey , why don't you have a chat with an agent , they helped hubby find out if his qualifications were any good . :biglaugh: Because he didn't have a clue to be honest its so diff in civvie land

I can say we went with Go mitilda they are great , just send them an email they should be able to help .

Brides x

I know of some people who have done a lateral transfer with the army, means they don't have to start from the bottom again. I think that they recruit in phases i.e. they take on a batch of people all at once, not individuals throughout the year. I don't know much more than that about it though but if you do a search on lateral transfers you might find something.

Regarding other options, one thing to bear in mind is that for skilled migrant visas the applicant must have recent work experience in the occupation. So unless he is in the job now or has spent at least 12 in last 24 months in the occupation, he will be ineligible. What about yourself? Could you be the main applicant?

I know of some people who have done a lateral transfer with the army, means they don't have to start from the bottom again. I think that they recruit in phases i.e. they take on a batch of people all at once, not individuals throughout the year. I don't know much more than that about it though but if you do a search on lateral transfers you might find something.

Regarding other options, one thing to bear in mind is that for skilled migrant visas the applicant must have recent work experience in the occupation. So unless he is in the job now or has spent at least 12 in last 24 months in the occupation, he will be ineligible. What about yourself? Could you be the main applicant?

He uses his trade at work but not every single day so I don't know if it would be enough. I don't know if I would have anything that we would be able to get in with, I work as a secretary/administrative assistant nothing major

I really don't know what else we could do

Archived