Recce - what we've found so far...

NZStidz

Hi all, just thought I would share my thoughts. We are here on yet another recce from NZ (been there for over 8 years) before we move to the Gold Coast permanently on Jan 3rd. Having an awesome stay at Ashmore Palms (would happily recommend it to anyone) and went to Pacific Pines with appointments at both Park Lake primary and Pac Pines High for our two sons (12 and 8). We loved Park Lake - as a teacher I was very impressed with the ethos of the school, we went into classrooms as the children were working and the atmosphere was fantastic - I wanted to be 8 years old again! Unfortunately not quite the same feeling at the High School - I can't put my finger on it but came away concerned that it wasn't right for my 12 year old (not saying it isn't right for others but every child is different!). We went back to our cabin feeling a bit flat and couldn't decide why. We went for dinner with the children in Broadbeach - we have always loved it there and suddenly we were reminded of why we love the Gold Coast - the atmosphere, vibrancy etc. We made a decision there and then to rethink our Pacific Pines decision on the grounds that to us it felt a little isolated. We have now had a look at Varsity Lakes - youngest would be at the Prep Campus and eldest at the Middle School north of the lake. We were blown away by the facilities, etc and all the reports seem good. We have been driving around today within the catchment area and really like the areas near the primary school, namely Azzurra Island, Varsity Sound but could really do with some "grass roots" advice about the area - does anyone live there who could tell me if there are any areas or streets to avoid or any ones that are particularly nice to live on?

We fly back to NZ tomorrow for 4 weeks (and a very busy 4 weeks at that) with the shippers coming, work and school to finish up and a dog to ship! We have had an amazing time and we are sure that Australia is the right move for our family at this time in all of our lives.

So any advice would be welcome or any neighbours who fancy a coffee/wine etc when we arrive!

Andrea (39), Mark (41), Evan (12) and Ferdy(8) - not forgetting Alfie the dog (3!):wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Andrea

we were in Broadbeach and surfers paradise for a month in April and it was fantastic.

It was so modern and vibrant and i was mesmerized by it, especially the beach and the warm sea and surf, i wish i was there now, we have snow outside here in the uk.

We met up with my cousin who showed us around and the houses and infrastructer was fabulous, a bit like Florida. The Gold coast most play a big part as to why Australia was voted the 2nd best country to live in, in the world.

All the best and tell us more when you get back there.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi guys glad you enjoyed your reccie.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Gold Coast apart from what I have seen when up there. It's a lovely area and I am sure you will be very happy.

Have fun packing.

Kate

Archived