Recently moved to Darwin....

Guest koscielskia

Guest koscielskia

Hi,

I have recently moved to Darwin and wondered if anyone was around to meet up and chat about things in general or if there are any expat groups here?

If you could let me know that'd be great.

Cheers,

Alex

Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi I moved here 2 years ago, if you need any info or want to meet for a chat let me know :)

Have 3 kids all middle/primary and high school :)

Guest koscielskia

Hello,

Thank you for your help on places to live, I am currently over on my own but my girlfriend is due to join me in Janurary. I have the task of finding somewhere to live at the moment, I am using www.realestate.com.au and it seems to be ok?!

With regards to driving licenses, I did get an international driving license when I left the UK. Do I require this or do I need to get a different type of license over here? I have a motorcycle license too, I assume this can be used here too?

After speaking to a few people here many say I can claim back GST on rent, do you know how you do this? Could meet up and chat?

Cheers,

Xan

• 1 month later...
Guest julie n

hi there could you give me some idea on best schools and suburbs in darwin near to the hospital my son is 13 and my daughter is 3 we due to move over in 3 months would like info on best adn worst suburbs and schoold thanks julie

Guest julie n
Hi I moved here 2 years ago, if you need any info or want to meet for a chat let me know :)

Have 3 kids all middle/primary and high school :)

hi there we are due to go in 3 monthscould u tell me any good schools for a 13yr old boy and 3 yr old girl thanks julie

• 2 weeks later...

Suburbs near the hospital are

Lyons

Tiwi

Brinkin

Wanguri

Leanyer

Nakara

I live in Lyons, a new development, its very nice and only 2-3 minutes drive from the hospital.

Most suburbs have their own schools, my daughter goes to Wanguri Primary, however I dont rate it although it seems that most of the schools are the same here, I have friends with children at different schools and they all complain about the education.

Guest julie n

hi Julz, thanks for the reply, would you recommend living in all of the suburbs that you have listed, and which ones would you not recommend - no disrespect to anyone living outside of these suburbs intended, ive heard malak and karamara not so gud, wot about nightcliffe. i believe renting is very expensive - i have signed upto realestate.com and rentfind and have properties emailed to me most days. could you tell me the difference between a lease break and a 6/12 month rent and also what is a duplex?? we want a house rather than an apartment and is it easy to find furnished as we have decided NOT to ship any belongings. i have looked into dripstone school for my son he is 13 yrs old. what is it like to find employment for non skilled (my husband) he was in a large supermarket as a supervisor but does not really want to go back into that type of employment, he will try his hand to most things!! (sorry about the essay !!!)

Hi Julie,

I would recommend all the suburbs above, apart from Nakara, I have a friend who lives there but I wouldn't. Cant comment on Nightcliff really, don't know anyone who lives there and its about a 10 minute drive from Hospital and Dripstone. If you want your son to walk to Dripstone I would recommend Lyons, Tiwi and Wanguri......Leanyer and Brinkin at a push if he was to ride a bike.

Sorry I can't help with explaining the different in leases, we live in defence housing so had no need to enter the real estate market but I know it is VERY expensive to rent in Darwin. My friend had a 4 bed house with pool in Lyons and the rent was $800 a week!!!! Not sure on furnished properties either, dont know if its something they do over here, there is a place you cant rent furniture from, although it's not very tasteful, and buying furniture up in Darwin is horrendously expensive. Have you thought about living in a serviced apartment? We lived in the Quest apartments in Darwin city for 2 weeks when we got here and a friend of my lived in apartments in Parap.

On the job front there are plenty of jobs in Darwin, the two main supermarkets Woolworths and Coles are always recruiting. There is a shopping centre called Casuarina Square, very close to the suburbs I listed above which has lots of shops, here is the employment link for it Casuarina Square > Stores > Employment

Anythng else you need to know just shout.

Julie

Guest julie n

hi julie,

many thanks for the inofrmation once again..... forgive me for being ignorant but is the defence housing only for persons employed by the military then?? the agency that i am with (geneva health) will find us temporary accommodation for 2 weeks when we arrive in Darwin but we will need to look asap after arriving and preferably before i have to start work for our more permanent accommodation. what kind of outdoor work is there in darwin for non skilled persons do you know of any?? Once again many thanks for the info

Hi Julie,

Yes defence housing is for defence personnel only. As for outdoor work for non-skilled people I would definately advise against it, the heat and humidity here is fierce, I have no idea how anyone can work outside in it, I run from the car to the school, shops, etc. sweating constantly becomes a way of life here and believe me its not nice. Its a hard thing to understand until you are living in it. We are moving to Brisbane in June and I cannot wait to escape the draining humidity.

Can I ask if you are tied into a contract for a certain amount of time in Darwin? Reason I ask, Darwin is not for everyone and if you find its not for your family, you can easily move elsewhere within Australia or back to the UK.

Julie

Guest julie n

hi julie

i have been sponsored for 2 years by the hospital but have only got a visa for 12 months??? that is because they told me folk tend to go for perm residency pretty soon, i do not intenbd to come back to the uk i would of liked to go to adelaide not a big city person really, but at eh time darwin was the only place they had a renal job for me as a nurse. so its a foot in the door i thought.

julie X

Archived