New Points from July 2011, I have a question?

AnxiousMum

Hi people,

I have had a look at the new points system coming into effect next July, it seems to me from reading the info that they are looking at work experience more now and someone like my hubby who has experience all over banking but no quals may be able to apply under this new system. Am I reading that right or am I giving myself false hope here?:biggrin:

Guest Susan Wareham McGrath

Hi AnxiousMum

The new points test as DIAC is currently presenting it (and that could well change before it becomes effective) emphasises high level qualifications, high levels of English and extensive skilled work experience.

The highest points for age will be for applicants aged between 25 and 32.

High level English language skills as evidenced by getting a score of 8 in IELTS (it's not yet clear whether that requirement refers to individual bands or an allover score) will achieve the highest points for English.

With regard to work experience, the highest points available will be awarded for either 5 years out of the past 7 years work experience in Australia, or with 8 years out of the past 10 for overseas work experience, in the nominated occupation or one that is closely related.

Out of DIAC's quoted pass mark of 65, between 10 and 20 points will be awarded for academic qualifications, ranging from a recognised apprenticeship to a PhD.

There are other factors that can be used to accrue points; of particular interest to many applicants will be the fact that family or state sponsorship to regional Australia will be worth 10 points.

So while it's not essential to have formal qualifications, advice from DIAC at this stage is that possessing formal quals will boost an applicant' score by between 10 and 20 points.

Best regards

Susan

Thank you for the reply Susan, I suppose we will just have to wait and see. At least by next July hubby will have another year added to his I.T. Profession I suppose. Just hope when it says "closely related work experience" they can see what my husband does in RBS is related to each job he has done. Doesnt help that he moves within the bank to different projects and departments but still related (maybe somewhat losely) to Systems Analyst.

Archived