Pre-Migration "holiday" - Two weeks and too much to see!

Goochie

My wife and I are planning on a 2 week "holiday" to check out a few places in Australia. We're currently 28 and 30 and dont have children yet - If we dont do it now we'll never do it.

Plus we're young enough to come back to the UK if it doesn't work out!

However, we're unsure where to go to in Oz. My Aussie colleague is from Melbourne and he says to look at Perth, my brother-in-law says Sydney is a no-brainer (even though he's never been) and my employer has a sister company in Melbourne so that could be an easy job opportunity.

The other curved ball is that my wife suffers with a circulatory condition whereby she suffers painfully cold legs in the winter.

We went to Vegas recently and loved the climate. It made my wife's condition disappear overnight.

So, we'd like to look at Perth, Melbourne and Syndey over just 2 weeks!

Is this feasible? How many days should we allocate to each?

I realise its going to be VERY difficult to see enough in just a few days.

It will be busy but it is feasible for sure. You could fly into Sydney, then down to Melbourne (flight is just one hour 15 mins) and then across to Perth and then fly back to the UK (I presume you're in the UK?) from Perth.

If your employer has an office in Melbourne you should definitely visit Melbourne and stop into the office to meet people and set up some networking possibilities. Employer sponsored visas are the quickest way to get to Australia-whether with a temporary visa (457 visa) or a permanent residency visa (121 ENS visa).

Not sure how cold it gets in winter where you live but you do have the 4 seasons in Melbourne. However, it is nowhere near as cold as it gets in winter in England. But if you want warm weather all year then Perth is more appropriate. Sydney has a very mild climate too.

Guest perth42
Yes, we are in the UK.

The route you suggested was something we'd talked about - Including a day trip to Ularu between Melbourne and Perth!

It's great if you can squeeze all that in but your flight from to Perth will take a a fair few hours I seem to think it's about 8hrs from Sydney to Perth.

In march this year my husband and I took a rekki trip to Perth and in the two weeks we were out there we never stopped. We hired a car with pick up/drop off @ the airport (used carhire3000 they offered a very good deal as others are very expensive) We tried to cram in as much as possible and visited new areas every day from mandurrah (2 hours drive south of where we were staying in mullaloo) to yenchep (2hrs north of Perth). We could of done with more than two weeks as so much to see and do etc. The weather was hot but the breeze was good but got cool at night.

In October we had a flying visit to Melbourne (two very cold and wet days, rest were warmish - but it was spring for them!) this time we got around by tourist tram, tourist bus (both free) and by foot as we were based in the CBD.

We saw as much as we could in the short time, but could of done with more time again. We looked at property prices for some of the apartments nearby... $280,000 for a ONE BED! I imagine it's much cheaper in the suburbs.

A few years ago we had a visit to Sydney (7 days of seeing and doing as much as possible) and Carins (forced relaxation!).

I keep saying when we go back next time we better have our visa!! It's hard to cram everything in but if you plan and get maps/sat navs and know what you want to see and do in each of the states I am sure with a good dose of stamina you will be able to do the trip.. After all you can crash and burn once you are on your return flight like we have done in the past! :SLEEP:

Wish you good luck with your trip, hope you get all you cab from it :biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
My wife and I are planning on a 2 week "holiday" to check out a few places in Australia. We're currently 28 and 30 and dont have children yet - If we dont do it now we'll never do it.

Plus we're young enough to come back to the UK if it doesn't work out!

However, we're unsure where to go to in Oz. My Aussie colleague is from Melbourne and he says to look at Perth, my brother-in-law says Sydney is a no-brainer (even though he's never been) and my employer has a sister company in Melbourne so that could be an easy job opportunity.

The other curved ball is that my wife suffers with a circulatory condition whereby she suffers painfully cold legs in the winter.

We went to Vegas recently and loved the climate. It made my wife's condition disappear overnight.

So, we'd like to look at Perth, Melbourne and Syndey over just 2 weeks!

Is this feasible? How many days should we allocate to each?

I realise its going to be VERY difficult to see enough in just a few days.

This is a difficult one, not the trip the decision where to live.

The trip, for 2 weeks will be a blur, even if you just go to one state, going to 2 or 3 will just be ............... as i say a blur.

To me Sydney is too dear, but if you are renting long term and don't mind paying alot then you could still make it work and the weather is better than Melbourne, which might not suit your wifes medical condition, but work wise its better for you and Perth is really warm for a very long time, but it is quieter than the other two places, so its a tough decision. We loved Perth and think Brisbane is Brilliant, with warm weather most of the year round, have you given Brisbane a thought, sorry to further confuse you.

Best of luck.

Archived