IELTS? needed or not for ANMC registration

crosbyx4

I have just come off the phone to an agent who has just informed me that if I have evidence of secondary education in England along with my Nursing degree I do not have to sit the IELTS test (refer to Question 16 on the ANMC application for general registrationAGOS-04) , does anyone know if this is correct???? I have my IELTS booked for 20th Nov but dont want to cancel until I have this confirmed ...........

I think they have changed it again so that you don't need the academic IELTS for registration as a nurse if your from the UK or any of the main English speaking countries. APHRA this is. You still need it for a Skills Assessment from the ANMC (Separate Professional Body) for PR and also for extra points for proficient English if you need them. It seems a lot of the State Migrations Plans will be asking for IELTS too. Victoria is as I'm just making an application to them now although I'm not sure if that has to be the Academic one which I sat.

Hope that helps maybe one of the professionals will give you a response too :-)

Australias Nursing Boards all merged this year to become part of AHPRA which is the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency AHPRA - AHPRA Home of which AHPRA - Nursing and Midwifery is a part of. This is where you register as a Nurse in Australia. The form AGOS 04 you mention is part of this process and it seems does not require you to sit the IELTS if you completed your secondary education in English and are a holder of a british passport. This has changed once already this year and many of us rushed around to sit the Academic IELTS English test at the cost of 110 pounds. It wasn't an easy test either. Who knows if they will change their minds again.

The ANMC is now the regulatory body for nursing and has kept its role in assessing overseas qualified nurses as suitable for Migration purposes. You need this only if you are applying for any class of Permanent Residency Visa. You do not need an ANMC skills assessment if you are going on a temporary Business visa or other temporary Visa. Still worth doing but note it is cheaper to do once you are registered by AHPRA.

The ANMC skills assessment process when I completed it 4 months ago did require that I sat the IELTS Academic English Test and score 7 or above in each catagory in one sitting.

Victorian State Government seem to be asking for a completed IELTS when you apply for a state sponsorship and you can claim extra points for General Skilled Migration 25 points for proficient English if you have passed the Academic English Test and scored 7 or above in each catagory in one sitting.

I hope this helps

Chris

thank you chris

we are currently looking at two options (1) for me to get a sponsered visa as a nurse so myself other half and two boys can move to Adaleide and then apply for residency (2) to apply for state sponsership / permanent residency now before we (hopefully) move to Australia ....... not sure which is the best option !! we have overloaded ourselves with info and different options and now dont know what to do ..... we are hoping to go within 12 -18 mths although if we apply for residency from the uk I think I will have to extend this time scale !!! thank you for info its great to speak to someone who is going through the same process

louisa

Archived