Cost of living in Tasmania?

Guest SunshineSmile

Guest SunshineSmile

Hi All

There are always threads going on about the cost of living on "the mainland" and it seems to be quite a hotly debated subject, with alot of comparing to UK prices etc.

Thats fine, but what Im looking for is the average cost of food, clothes, electricity, heating, gas for cooking etc etc (I believe that i might need to factor in cost of water too?) in Aus Dollars.. no point me comparing to UK prices anyway cos I live in Ireland (Euros) and I want to work out how much of my pay packet in Tassie will go onthe cost of living.

Even stuff like eating out (which we love) .. meal for 2, cinema tickets etc.. whats the average costs for a night out, few beers and taxi home etc.

Can you help me out guys? :wink:

Guest siamsusie
Hi All

There are always threads going on about the cost of living on "the mainland" and it seems to be quite a hotly debated subject, with alot of comparing to UK prices etc.

Thats fine, but what Im looking for is the average cost of food, clothes, electricity, heating, gas for cooking etc etc (I believe that i might need to factor in cost of water too?) in Aus Dollars.. no point me comparing to UK prices anyway cos I live in Ireland (Euros) and I want to work out how much of my pay packet in Tassie will go onthe cost of living.

Even stuff like eating out (which we love) .. meal for 2, cinema tickets etc.. whats the average costs for a night out, few beers and taxi home etc.

:hug:Hi Steph,

Slightly difficult for me to answer your questions... I am approx 35k from Launceston so we are living rurally, and manage to obtain may items like wood/ meat from family and friends much cheaper.

Average cost of food for the 2 of us is approx $200 a week which includes all the meat from the butcher, wine etc.. and that includes entertaining.

Electricity is costing us approx, $100 /150pq. but then we have two log fires. We have some solar panels ready to be fitted. Most of our friend's bill pq usually average $600 pq. with heatpumps. (Winter period) We mainly cook on our outside kitchen (gas) $30 for a 9 kilo which lasts for approx. 6-8 weeks could be more. Water for us is free (rainwater we have a capacity for 100,000 litres). Telstra we pay around $49 for the home phone dependent on the plan (Home reach)

We pay $1000 pa for our rates... Cinema tickets around $20 each. Taxis within CBD around $20.

We eat out reasonably regularly and for $40 here locally we can get an excellent main meal x 2 for $40 minus drinks in a local cosy pub. Restaurants on the river would be $100 plus.

Clothing, we tend to get most of our clothes made in Asia. Kmart for shorts / T shirts etc are cheap enough

A 10 oz beer = approx, $3.50 approximately. A reasonable bottle of wine can cost us $6-10, Port $6. I am living in the wine area of Tasmania and they do some amazing deals here. Internet costs for Hobart should be competitive, I will leave it to the Hobartians to comment because I am on Satellite which costs $22 pm. Petrol in Northern Tasmania is around $1.24 a litre with a Woolies/Coles coupon.

Those are our approximate costs Steph, I think the Hobart people are more able to answer your questions, living rurally of course does differ and of course our life styles do vary here quite considerably . I have come on over from northern WA where of course the prices are considerably more so Tasmania for me is certainly cheaper.:hug: Susie x

PS Pls look for Happy Lass/ Skani's posts etc they will give you a clearer idea Steph of life in Hobart xx

Guest SunshineSmile

Wow :biggrin: Thanks Susie... That looks to be less than our expenditure here so I think we will survive just fine, even tho as you say rural and urban living would have different financial demands....

Thanks for your quick response and will be talking to you further... hope the guys in Hobart will be along in the next few days to give me their views. I have had a look at all the old posts from Skani and Happy Lass, hope they can update on those.

Plus, is Colin still around?, I think he owns a flower shop in Kingston? Then again, he is probably too busy with flowers to be on here :laugh: (what a fabulous job I always thought).

Last thing Susie, Im curious to know what you mean when you say you cook mainly on your "outside kitchen" .. it sounds good anyway!

Hope you had a lovely evening and look forward to hearing from you soon :hug:

:hug:Hi Steph,

Slightly difficult for me to answer your questions... I am approx 35k from Launceston so we are living rurally, and manage to obtain may items like wood/ meat from family and friends much cheaper.

Average cost of food for the 2 of us is approx $200 a week which includes all the meat from the butcher, wine etc.. and that includes entertaining.

Electricity is costing us approx, $100 /150pq. but then we have two log fires. We have some solar panels ready to be fitted. Most of our friend's bill pq usually average $600 pq. with heatpumps. (Winter period) We mainly cook on our outside kitchen (gas) $30 for a 9 kilo which lasts for approx. 6-8 weeks could be more. Water for us is free (rainwater we have a capacity for 100,000 litres). Telstra we pay around $49 for the home phone dependent on the plan (Home reach)

We pay $1000 pa for our rates... Cinema tickets around $20 each. Taxis within CBD around $20.

We eat out reasonably regularly and for $40 here locally we can get an excellent main meal x 2 for $40 minus drinks in a local cosy pub. Restaurants on the river would be $100 plus.

Clothing, we tend to get most of our clothes made in Asia. Kmart for shorts / T shirts etc are cheap enough

A 10 oz beer = approx, $3.50 approximately. A reasonable bottle of wine can cost us $6-10, Port $6. I am living in the wine area of Tasmania and they do some amazing deals here. Internet costs for Hobart should be competitive, I will leave it to the Hobartians to comment because I am on Satellite which costs $22 pm. Petrol in Northern Tasmania is around $1.24 a litre with a Woolies/Coles coupon.

Those are our approximate costs Steph, I think the Hobart people are more able to answer your questions, living rurally of course does differ and of course our life styles do vary here quite considerably . I have come on over from northern WA where of course the prices are considerably more so Tasmania for me is certainly cheaper.:hug: Susie x

PS Pls look for Happy Lass/ Skani's posts etc they will give you a clearer idea Steph of life in Hobart xx

This is a great post susie, thanks for taking the time to reply.:notworthy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest siamsusie
Wow :biggrin: Thanks Susie... That looks to be less than our expenditure here so I think we will survive just fine, even tho as you say rural and urban living would have different financial demands....

Thanks for your quick response and will be talking to you further... hope the guys in Hobart will be along in the next few days to give me their views. I have had a look at all the old posts from Skani and Happy Lass, hope they can update on those.

Plus, is Colin still around?, I think he owns a flower shop in Kingston? Then again, he is probably too busy with flowers to be on here :laugh: (what a fabulous job I always thought).

Last thing Susie, Im curious to know what you mean when you say you cook mainly on your "outside kitchen" .. it sounds good anyway!

Hope you had a lovely evening and look forward to hearing from you soon :hug:

Sorry Sunshine I forgot to answer you.... yes we cook all the year around outside, we do have "Puffing Billy" our wooden stove on which throws out so much heat, but the outside kitchen which incorporates a gas oven / ring, hot & cold water/ sink, fridge etc has paid off ten fold in electricity bills..

It's not often we sit inside really unless its bitterly cold and we have the wood burners on inside. Once you have yourself sorted, there are some great places to cut your own wood with a licence for around $40 per 3 months.

:hug:

NB you can just see the parrots behind near the bird feeder lol

Guest SunshineSmile

Oh that looks absolutely fabulous!!! :biggrin:

What a lovely way to spend your evenings and the parrots in the background too!!!

Im very pleasantly surprised to hear that you can eat outside most of the year, and that appeals to me hugely..I will aspire to an outside kitchen Suz!

I absolutely cant wait...

Love from your very excited friend :hug:

Guest siamsusie
Oh that looks absolutely fabulous!!! :biggrin:

What a lovely way to spend your evenings and the parrots in the background too!!!

Im very pleasantly surprised to hear that you can eat outside most of the year, and that appeals to me hugely..I will aspire to an outside kitchen Suz!

I absolutely cant wait...

Love from your very excited friend :hug:

Puffing Billy helps of course Steph,,, and we are slightly under cover..hence avoiding the winds . but yes it really helps being to live outside..... I sent you the other day a message hope you received... I am delighted you are joining us on these shores, :hug: love Susie x

Guest SunshineSmile
Thanks Suzie, with Dave and me arriving at the end of November, your post has been really helpful

Hi DaveBecs...

Just want to say hello! I assume you are heading for Tasmania shortly (your avatar should have confirmed that for me :wink:) myself, partner and daughter are heading for Hobart after Christmas.. very excited :jiggy:!!!

Best of luck.. I hope you will continue to post when you arrive so us greenies can get a feel for Tassie!

Steph

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Suzie, with Dave and me arriving at the end of November, your post has been really helpful

So lovely Becs that you and Dave and Sunshine & family are heading to Tasmania, and if there is anything we can do to help please do shout....

It is warming up now and is looking so lush rolling green fields, its looking stunning, I am sure/ hope you will be happy on this lovely island.

Safe and happy travels :hug: love Susie x

Guest SunshineSmile
So lovely Becs that you and Dave and Sunshine & family are heading to Tasmania, and if there is anything we can do to help please do shout....

It is warming up now and is looking so lush rolling green fields, its looking stunning, I am sure/ hope you will be happy on this lovely island.

Safe and happy travels :hug: love Susie x

As always.. thanks Susie.. your one in a million :hug:

Guest DaveBecs

Hi SunShine, We are also heading to Hobart, good luck with your plans and we will keep you posted on our journey.

Thanks Susie, you have been a star so fine, with all your help. I know who to call on when we get there!! :cute:

We are hoping for a better summer over there than we manged here this year!!!

Guest siamsusie
Hi SunShine, We are also heading to Hobart, good luck with your plans and we will keep you posted on our journey.

Thanks Susie, you have been a star so fine, with all your help. I know who to call on when we get there!! :cute:

We are hoping for a better summer over there than we manged here this year!!!

You are most welcome and enjoy what should be the most amazing journey of the next stage of your life Becs :hug: xx

Guest siamsusie
We are also hoping to get to Tas in the not so distant future, though I'm keeping everthing crossed for it!

I can't wait to find out how you all get on with the moves. Please keep us posted.

Fingers crossed for you Crispy:notworthy:, I always smile looking at one of our number plates on the car..... "Tasmania Your Natural State" :wubclub:.... its a great place to live.

Love Susie x:hug:

Guest claireandmark
Hi All

Hi I dont think I can answer your question with as much accuracy as Susie!!

We live just outside of Hobart been here for nearly two years now and it is the best thing we ever did. Im English myself but mother is Irish and my parents Live in Kenmare Co Kerry. So I know how expensive Ireland is!!

Ill think youll find things cheaper here on the whole, the most important thing to do when you get here is not to keep thinking how much day to day items cost you in euros.

It took us a few months to stop converting our shopping bill back into sterling and comparing to what we used to pay in the UK. When you finally realise your not on holiday and your earning the local coin you stop doing it :spinny:

Some things are quite dear here, Beer, electricity is set to rise by 26% & Chocolate is a rip off. But some things cost a lot less, Petrol, Child care, Meat

What are you guys doing for work when you get here? If you need any help on your travels make sure you just sing out, we'd be glad to help!

Guest claireandmark
Fingers crossed for you Crispy:notworthy:, I always smile looking at one of our number plates on the car..... "Tasmania Your Natural State" :wubclub:.... its a great place to live.

Love Susie x:hug:

I love seeing the Victorian plates when the mainlanders come down to Tassie

" Victoria - The Place to Be" yet here they are, on Holiday, In Tasmania

Guest siamsusie
I love seeing the Victorian plates when the mainlanders come down to Tassie

" Victoria - The Place to Be" yet here they are, on Holiday, In Tasmania

So so true Claire..... I like the Queenslander plates, "Sunshine State":jiggy:just had my own car re rego'd today, so lost my WA plates "Exploring the Possibilities" it says:huh:,

the old "Apple Isle" are nice as well.... Are you well and enjoying life?:hug:

Guest siamsusie
Hi I dont think I can answer your question with as much accuracy as Susie!!

We live just outside of Hobart been here for nearly two years now and it is the best thing we ever did. Im English myself but mother is Irish and my parents Live in Kenmare Co Kerry. So I know how expensive Ireland is!!

Ill think youll find things cheaper here on the whole, the most important thing to do when you get here is not to keep thinking how much day to day items cost you in euros.

It took us a few months to stop converting our shopping bill back into sterling and comparing to what we used to pay in the UK. When you finally realise your not on holiday and your earning the local coin you stop doing it :spinny:

Some things are quite dear here, Beer, electricity is set to rise by 26% & Chocolate is a rip off. But some things cost a lot less, Petrol, Child care, Meat

What are you guys doing for work when you get here? If you need any help on your travels make sure you just sing out, we'd be glad to help!

Great post, and you are absolutely spot on with your appraisal Clare:notworthy: I do also think if we try and lean towards as much self sufficiency as possible this is the only way to go.

Maybe we should set up a community farm:wubclub:

Susie x

Archived