IT market in Melbourne

Guest dannyboy

Guest dannyboy

Hello All!

Moving to Melbourne in Sept and I need to get an idea what the IT market is like over there, I'm currently employed over here as a Service Manager running helpdesks all over london and wondered what melbourne is like for IT?? I've mailed a few job agencies but they say that the market is good (but they would say that to get me on the books!)

any help or ideas please.....

If anybody wants to know about our move - then please post and I will reply!!

Dannyboy

Ps - getting scared now!! Our stuff gets shipped on Monday 23rd July!!

Guest newnico

Hello, Dannyboy

My son is soon going to be looking for IT work in Melbourne (well I'm saying this rather grandly, but that's the long term plan!) so will be interesting to hear how you get on. We had heard that Melbourne, rather than Sydney, was the place to go. Presumably you got your visa OK? Are you excited about it all? How is the packing going?

Oh and welcome to PIO..this is a great forum for swapping ideas, moans, information etc. and we seem to range over all ages and types.

Guest dannyboy

Newnico,

I've also heard that Melbourne is the place and the company work for in the Uk has a parnter in Melbourne called Leading Solutions - Welcome Page I've contacted them and waiting for a reply. I will post if I here back from them.

Currently getting everthing shipped on Monday and it all seems like a rush but I'm too busy to feel nervous / excited / scared......

We applied for the visa around a year ago, it came though in April 07.

PIO is the best site I've used for info so far....

Dannyboy

Guest haysgood

Hi Dannyboy,

Congrats on getting your visa, I'm very envious!!

I'm also a Systems Manager and looking to go to Melbourne. Do you mind if I ask how long it took for your skills assessment to come through? ACS received my application 10 weeks ago and I havent heard back from them, I'm hoping its a case of 'no news is good news'!!

I have spoken to a few friends and family members in Melbourne who work in IT and they say there are a lot of job opportunities in Melbourne (more so than in Sydney), especially for systems managers and administrators. The salaries are slightly less, but so is the cost of houses etc.

Cheers

Hayley and Dave

Guest dannyboy

Hi ya Dave and Hayley,

I didn't need a skills assessment as I'm on the wife's skills (she has more than me and more family in Oz). Our skills took around 6 to 8 weeks to come back. Don't worry about the skills, I'm sure if you have the skills needed then you should get in ok.

We had all our stuff collected by PSS today and it went really well, if fact, I'm really pleased. I thought that this would be stressful but it was nice and easy. Well happy! I just hope it makes it to oz ok.......

Thank

Dan :)

Guest haysgood

Thanks Dan, fingers crossed the skills will come through soon, we cant wait to get there!

Best of luck with your move and hope all your stuff arrives in one piece to Melbourne! You never know, we might cross paths in the job market one day!

Kind Regards

Hayley and Dave Clayton

• 1 month later...
Guest Chris 'n' Claire
Hello All!

Moving to Melbourne in Sept and I need to get an idea what the IT market is like over there, I'm currently employed over here as a Service Manager running helpdesks all over london and wondered what melbourne is like for IT?? I've mailed a few job agencies but they say that the market is good (but they would say that to get me on the books!)

any help or ideas please.....

If anybody wants to know about our move - then please post and I will reply!!

Dannyboy

Ps - getting scared now!! Our stuff gets shipped on Monday 23rd July!!

Dan,

Would be really interested to here how you get on in Melbourne with the relocation and the job search. Myself and OH are planning to move Melbourne or Sydney mid-2008 (application submitted) and I will be looking for an IT solutions architect position. I have heard some positive information about the state of the IT market in Melbourne but I guess it is all about the timing and sometimes lady luck. Under normal circumstances having an existing job you would have the luxury of selecting the right position to move to whereas for many people emigrating I guess it is a case sometimes of settling for any position which starts to bring in the $.

Best of luck with the move and the job hunting.

Chris.

• 1 month later...
Guest dannyboy

Chris,

Just a quick note to update you - I've been here around 5 weeks and I've got a job working for a Video Conferencing company as a Helpdesk Manager (I've been one in a past life!), they wanted ITIL and need somebody to build up the services. The market is very good, I've had 3 job offers, one I turned down as the company wasn't a good fit for me, another which is for a very large computer company (as a services manager - not going to take it as too much P&L and not enough management), the 3rd one I've taken. All in all, everything seems to be going well on the job front.

The market for IT is very good and I would suggest to anybody looking at jobs in Melbourne to think about what sort of company they want to work for and go for it...

Cheers

Dan

PS - All the AFL stuff gets on your tits doesn't it... !

Archived